Thread: Painfull achiles

novice

Painfull achiles

I have no problem running but when I'm not I get real pains in my achiles, particularly when walking down stairs.

Should I be worried and doing anything about it?

Super Moderator

Re: Painfull achiles

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    I have no problem running but when I'm not I get real pains in my achiles, particularly when walking down stairs.

Should I be worried and doing anything about it?
    Is it worse first thing in a morning or after sitting down for a good length of time? Any swelling or bumps on or near the painful area? If so, it could be Achilles tendonitus. There are several threads on the forum dealing with this. A search of the injuries section could help. If you think it is tendonitus I'd consider going to a good physio for confirmation
    Poacher turned game-keeper

novice

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Is it worse first thing in a morning or after sitting down for a good length of time? Any swelling or bumps on or near the painful area? If so, it could be Achilles tendonitus. There are several threads on the forum dealing with this. A search of the injuries section could help. If you think it is tendonitus I'd consider going to a good physio for confirmation
    Worse first thing in the morning, no swellings or bumps however

I've just come back from this. If the symptoms stack up, get down to the Physio as it needs sorting and will plague you long term if you leave it :thunbdown:.

A combination of rest, ice, certain stretching exercises (Google will throw up the main two) will keep it at bay, also you might want to consider the shoes you are running in. Are the heel cups set too low? They were in mine for my 'gait'. The biggest inprovement in my condition came after having a proper posture and gait analysis session and then switching footwear accordingly. I suffered for maybe three months, but I'm pain free and 100% fit again now.

All the best with it.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by simgreen78 View Post
    I've just come back from this. If the symptoms stack up, get down to the Physio as it needs sorting and will plague you long term if you leave it :thunbdown:.

A combination of rest, ice, certain stretching exercises (Google will throw up the main two) will keep it at bay, also you might want to consider the shoes you are running in. Are the heel cups set too low? They were in mine for my 'gait'. The biggest inprovement in my condition came after having a proper posture and gait analysis session and then switching footwear accordingly. I suffered for maybe three months, but I'm pain free and 100% fit again now.

All the best with it.
    Sympathies Simon. I get it on and off. If I feel it coming on I hammer the eccentric excercises. I think the secret is not to let it really take hold

Novice, one of the classic causes of tendonitus is upping your mileage relatively quickly. For some reason it seems to plague older runners too, say 40+ (actually that's young in fellrunning terms!)

novice

Novice, one of the classic causes of tendonitus is upping your mileage relatively quickly. For some reason it seems to plague older runners too, say 40+ (actually that's young in fellrunning terms!)
    40+, upping mileage - that will be me !!!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by novice View Post
    40+, upping mileage - that will be me !!!
    Exercises 1, 2 and 3 from here are what I do http://www.sportsinjurybulletin.com/...el-injury.html I'd go and get it checked out first mind

novice

many thanks