Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Find me a fell...

Find me a fell...

Hi,

I have experience of road running and training in the gym but i'm geographically challenged when it comes to fell running. I live right on the South Coast - Poole so have been out around Lulworth Cove/Durdle Door and Swanage way. Can anyone suggest clubs within reach? Also how should I change my training so it's more geared up towards off road?

Thanks,

Lizzie

Re: Find me a fell...

Head out to the Breacons which are not too far from you. Plenty of good running around there.

Also, I believe you have the Exe to Axe race near Poole each year which I believe is classed as a fell race (although, strictly speaking it isn't).
    The best way tailor your training is to simply run off road. It is different in that you do not have the constant pounding on your libs so you will less prone to injury, every foot plant will be differen - ascending and decending rough terrain can also be interesting if you are not used to it!
    Good luck...

Oh- and welcome

Loads to go at around Lulworth etc. The coast path around there is as good as a lot of the Peak District fells. I did quite a long run over Easter around Abbotsbury/Hardy's Monument - if you are inventive with your route you can get some good hill training in.

If you want to do some long stuff, look out for Dorset LDWA events. The Dorset Doddle is a classic and I'll be doing it again this year. See http://www.btinternet.com/~hardy.annual/ - runners are welcome on these events.

(I live in the Peak, but have relatives/grew up in Weymouth....)

Quote Originally Posted by Pav View Post
    Also, I believe you have the Exe to Axe race near Poole each year which I believe is classed as a fell race (although, strictly speaking it isn't).
    This is a top race. Our adventure team used to sail from Plymouth to Portsmouth over 2/3 day and we timed it so we could do the A-E Race and although you couldn't class it as a fell race, it has lots of climbing and descent through some beautiful scenery, map reading is easy, If the sea is on your right when you start keep it that way until you finish.

See which club organises it as they were telling me about lotsof races in that area.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    This is a top race. Our adventure team used to sail from Plymouth to Portsmouth over 2/3 day and we timed it so we could do the A-E Race and although you couldn't class it as a fell race, it has lots of climbing and descent through some beautiful scenery, map reading is easy, If the sea is on your right when you start keep it that way until you finish.

See which club organises it as they were telling me about lotsof races in that area.
    FRA calendar says Sidmouth Running Club but I think Mud's club - Axe Valley Runners also organise a few off-roaders.

There's also the Charmouth - Golden Cap Challenge on 7 July - I ran it during foot and mouth year while on holiday in Lyme Regis - except that year it was a beach race -including loads of boulders to clamber over.

There's also The Beast trail race in September which although isn't a fell race, has some pretty decent sized hills in, down near Corfe Castle which isn't too far away. I had the same problem as i grew up just near Southampton, i just tried to get away each weekend and just ran up some big hills - no fells locally but you can still get a decent workout from going up and down some steep hills, try and find something off-road though to make it as close to fell running as possible.

Very useful info. It looks like it's going to be a good summer!
    If I head up to the Breacons are there day races/events (nothing too serious for now) with local clubs do that I can tag along with?

Thanks.

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

From the fixtures link on the homepage there is a weekend of races on 21st/22nd July in the Brecon area;

http://www.fellrunner.org.uk/2007races.htm

Have fun .
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Most running clubs let you just run with them if on your holidays or short breaks. I'm not sure what the local one down there is though.