Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Tussocks

Angry Tussocks

My first outing on the fells today for 7 weeks was once again blighted by these tussock things, the descent started fine but within 30 secs i'd hit a minefield of these football sized tussocks and rolled both ankles inward and stuffed them both just like i did 3 months ago when the problem began. I walked the entire 1000' descent but it was too little too late. They seem to conceal themselves by growing a massive crest of whispy grass and any area i've encountered them in sees them packed in approximately one per 2sq.ft. of land and they create a low lying carpet of canopy like growth which looks like any other grassy hilltop; they seem to colonise vast areas of land. I don't know how i pick these sodding routes but if i don't start to learn how to avoid areas where they might be i might aswell hang up my vest.

This is a serious ask for help as i'm trying to understand how and why these things form or grow. The only connection i've been able to make is that the seem to like bogs or wet areas but dislike grazed areas, there isn't a single one growing in the Howgills so how is the Howgills different? They must be a particular subspecies of grass which requires the correct conditions to flourish, although i haven't yet fully ruled out the possiblity of them being formed by rodents and small carnivores sneaking around out of the way of Buzzards and Falcons but it's unlikely. My ice packs should be ready to come out of the freezer now, can anyone help me scientifically with this?
    Last edited by mr brightside; 31-07-2010 at 05:55 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Super Moderator

Re: Tussocks

Tussocks formed by rodents and small carnivores? You haven't run for 7weeks so go out on unknown ground. Why not stick to somewhere you know?
    Last edited by Derby Tup; 31-07-2010 at 06:19 PM.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Tussocks formed by rodents and small carnivores? You haven't run for 7weeks so go out on unknown ground. Why not stick to somewhere you know?
    I've been back on trails for a fortnight, it just seems as though every time i dare to step off a footpath and get some peace from rocks and dogs i find myself screwed for months for running into these stupid tussock things. There's a reason why they grow where they grow, i might sound like i'm clutching at straws DT mate but that's because i am.

I've got to go to a f#*!ing wedding reception tonight and put on a smile, all i want to do is lock myself in Mr Burns' germ warfare laboratory and find a kill tussocks germ .

Edit. I've got that picture of us on XOTF with Merry in the foreground as my wallpaper, there weren't any of these things there either so why was that? Too windswept, too dry?
    Last edited by mr brightside; 31-07-2010 at 08:02 PM.

Super Moderator

http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/ind...bog_plants.htm

Some background here. Its all about bogs. I love peat bogs, hags, groughs and tussocks, but then I spent years wandering about on Kinder and Bleaklow

Have a run up and down Great Whernside from Kettlewell via Hag Dyke. Best descent in the Dales Another option is the Abbey Runners race route, over toward Arncliffe. Very dry.
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Me in the foreground as a wallpaper
    Just be thankful your not Tussockface, Mr B, have a good night out mate:wink:
    Last edited by stevefoster; 31-07-2010 at 09:11 PM.
    Hills and Guinness!

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    http://www.yorkshiredales.org.uk/ind...bog_plants.htm

Some background here. Its all about bogs. I love peat bogs, hags, groughs and tussocks, but then I spent years wandering about on Kinder and Bleaklow.

Have a run up and down Great Whernside from Kettlewell via Hag Dyke. Best descent in the Dales Another option is the Abbey Runners race route, over toward Arncliffe. Very dry.
    Hare's Tail Cottongrass that's the stuff...

It looks like normal grass until you're on top of it. PJs race route is class but i'm always up for a bit of exploring i don't tend to stick to the same routes, and like the time i went up Little Whernside once again it has cost me. I've got a wobble pad from the physio and i've been working on my proprioception for a while now but my ankles just can't deal with this grass, you step on it and it just rolls you straight off. I was contouring fine last week but this stuff just takes you off guard.

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Me in the foreground as a wallpaper
    Just be thankful your not Tussockface, Mr B, have a good night out mate:wink:
    I think softie took it, he must have as stolly's in it! Night out was ok but i was driving, it was the best wedding i've ever been to for lasses though...phew!

Tussocks......call em Turks Heads round here,

Remember plenty of tussocks in the Lyme Park races (Vanessa Chappell, Boar's Head and Kettleshulme) I could usually do OK descending through them cos I'm taller than most and can see ahead which way to leap over them. Uphill is an entirely different matter!!!

There was no leaping over these they were too densely packed. Apparently they only grow in boggy acidic soils, so if i stay clear of peat bogs i should be ok.

I think i might have escaped lightly, 36hrs of repetetive icing later i can't feel any difference, a week on the bike and try another run at the weekend.

Hey I love tussocks; they're my absolute favourirte terrain.

Where are all these little beauties? I'd like to go and play on them :w00t:
    Impossible is nothing!
    My blog