Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: European Championships

Quote Originally Posted by Deadlegs View Post
    Except they just run around a track which isn't even good to watch.
    Ha, well it's even less fun when you're actually doing it! For all the pure-athletic-performance of it, I detest The Curve. On the road, the slightest corner, bump or change in gradient can knock your rhythm for a moment, but I find that far preferable to being driven round the bend..

A lot of organisers seem to think it is more spectator-friendly because people can watch the entire race from the comfort (?) of their own seat. And they can charge money for it, so you know you're a spectator too.

Jo Pavey gold medal: The science of her long-distance success
    Jo's lovely; she didn't fancy her chances in a fell race, so she said to me! Fantastic results ever since London (funnily enough since she gave up the marathon she was toying with and focused more on 10,000); notice how 10,000 is "long-distance" in the world of "athletics"

There was another article about Dwain being old as well.. and Mo aside, the youngsters not cutting it these days..

And in the link here, Jo's French competitor, once introduced as 24 years old, is referred to as a "girl", probably allowable in the context

I find it difficult to get excited about Track and Field on the box these days. Too many pacemaker lead time-trials. It's similar at Grass Roots with everyone trooping dowwn to BMC graded races chasing times.
    Racing is what draws the interest. Watching a good, competitive, tactical race whether on an athletics track, road, cross country, bicycle, F1 car.... that's what creates the buzz for most.
    At least the athletics Championships have this such as what we see on the Box this week, or even at our Local County T&F Champs.
    Good luck to my clubmate Alison Leonard going in Semi Final 1 of the 800m today at 16:38.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

So the frenchman got DQ'd for taking the piss.....is this the way its going to go, i thought sport was supposed to be fun.

Would AI approve after all couldn't see his number.

I think the initial "yellow card" was more appropriate.. bloody Spanish ex-dopers making a fuss to take a Bronze!

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by LissaJous View Post
    I think the initial "yellow card" was more appropriate.. bloody Spanish ex-dopers making a fuss to take a Bronze!
    Do we want runners in athletics taking their tops of as they come down the finishing straight? I don't - not really sure why - perhaps because it reminds me of football. Not having a top on during a fell race as it is hot is I feel rather different.
    I agree the DQ and the protest that led up to it leave a bad taste.

Gabby Logan is sporting her all-weather presenting gear I see She should get down into the city centre later for some warming crocodile and zebra at the outback bar washed down with some Schneider Weisse. That should warm her up a bit
    No country for old men.

Master
    The winner of the 400 m hurdles took his top off after finishing but was warned and put it back on.

To be fair to the 400H guy it was a minute or two after the race had ended.

I think the problem with the DQ was they way it happened - with a doper taking Bronze following an appeal. The officials should have DQd on the spot.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell