Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: inov 8's and longevity

inov 8's and longevity

Another pair of inov 8's in which the material has gone well before the grip. The material seems to split/tear/come away from sole unit (315,212,330) well before the grip wears, between 2-6 month. Road shoes (while i appreciate they dont take the same bashing/peat bogs etc) its the tread that goes before the material, anyone else experienced this?

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Re: inov 8's and longevity

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    Another pair of inov 8's in which the material has gone well before the grip. The material seems to split/tear/come away from sole unit (315,212,330) well before the grip wears, between 2-6 month. Road shoes (while i appreciate they dont take the same bashing/peat bogs etc) its the tread that goes before the material, anyone else experienced this?
    only with my flyrocs and after a decent amount of wear. The other issues I have stated any time before around wear tend to be to do with heel rolling, soles unsticking and occasional a stud breaking off.
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

I've stopped buying Inov-8s because 1. none of them seem to suit my funny feet anymore (my problem, not yours!), 2. I don't trust the sizing and 3. I'm tired of gluing the studs back on from very first use. So it's the sole durability rather than main fabric that I find most suspect, although mine do get habitually used on very rough and rocky ground.

The grip on the mud claws for me is with doubt the best on my terrain, I have said this before on similar threads and is why I continue to buy them but...

"longevity and inov 8's" are two words I'd find hard to put in to a single sentence.

my main beef was a seam which it looks like they have put some effort in to sorting out. only time will tell

I've just posted a comment about the new X Talon 190 on a different thread. I don't think they have properly thought it through. The material of the X Talon 190 appears to be similar to the material of the F Lites 230. I had the 230 and in some respects they were an excellent shoe for the road and trails but it didn't take long before the upper split on both shoes. I wasn't surprised because the durability of the material is poor. In my opinion they are ideal for road use only. It's all well and good Inov8 offering choice but I would rather they concentrated on a core number of shoes and made sure they were of exceptional quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Richard36 View Post
    I've just posted a comment about the new X Talon 190 on a different thread. I don't think they have properly thought it through. The material of the X Talon 190 appears to be similar to the material of the F Lites 230. I had the 230 and in some respects they were an excellent shoe for the road and trails but it didn't take long before the upper split on both shoes. I wasn't surprised because the durability of the material is poor. In my opinion they are ideal for road use only. It's all well and good Inov8 offering choice but I would rather they concentrated on a core number of shoes and made sure they were of exceptional quality.
    I agree with this, id have liked, less choice, but better quality and longer lasting, dont get me wrong, same as ian, the grip and feel of them is great, altho prefer them to last more than 3 months though

Quote Originally Posted by egor View Post
    I agree with this, id have liked, less choice, but better quality and longer lasting, dont get me wrong, same as ian, the grip and feel of them is great, altho prefer them to last more than 3 months though
    Compared to some other sports/activities £60-80 equipment cost every 3-6 months is pretty good.
    "That was the night everything changed"

Super Moderator

You beat me to it eavesy. I've utterly trashed 2 pairs of Walsh PBs since Christmas and have another pair half way there. They cost £49 each for 1st 2 pairs and £40 for t'other. Cheap I reckon. What's a gym cost or that Sky TV that some folk have
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Think people need to realize that they can't have there cake and eat it. If you want a very light weight shoe with sticky rubber sole (190,195,212,230 etc) you have to accept that it won't last long. If spending as little money as possible and longevity is the most important thing to you then get some para boots, they are after all proven in the hills
    "That was the night everything changed"

Montrail Highlanders last for ages - I use them for training and long or particularly rocky/rough races (Ben, Jura etc) and Inov8s for shorter races. It keeps the cost reasonable and its even better if you manage to get a pair or two from the sales and wants on the forum.