Page 25 of 27 FirstFirst ... 152324252627 LastLast

Thread: Cows bloody cows

http://www.theguardian.com/world/201...red-super-cows
    I wouldn't want to be in a field with these lads!

I took a wrong turn in to a field of angry sheep (with horns) - it was the single most frightening encounter of my running career. I managed to get this photo after jumping over a wall to safety.

http://tinypic.com/r/25ic0u8/8

Seriously, look at them all. They were running from all corners. FEAR OF SHEEP.

Evil incarnate
    pies

Ha! When I was putting flags out for last year's Kinder Downfall race (PM, LK) a similar thing happened. Sheep came running at me from all directions. Mind you, they soon stopped when they realised I wasn't putting food down for them.

New to FRA and quite relieved in a way to find this thread. I grew up in rural County Durham and even as young kids we knew certain breeds (the Highland Cattle always were a bit lairy) could be a bit 'funny', especially where dogs or calves were concerned. A few years ago I was out on the Yorskshire Wolds, picking a careful path through a big herd of Highlands (who had very young calves with them) with my then five year old son and a whole pelaton of plummy-voiced holidaying cyclists pulled up to marvel at my apparent ignorance regarding cattle. They sat and watched for our whole descent down the valley. 'They won't hurt you!' one mocked as we approached. As my son was with me I replied politely that the cattle's behaviour changed when they had young. Rather than the '**** off' I had in mind. The guy snorted derisively and the pelaton moved off. If I was of more of an arsy persuasion I would have suggested he test his hypothesis with his own grandkids.

More recently, and more locally, I've come across some really spooked herds around York. I don't know if the locals are doing something untoward of a night or it's the breeds involved, but in the summer I was running through fields and the cows were going ****ing crazy, attacking each other and stampeding around the field as though under attack. I'd understand if I was a speed demon but I was only plodding through. Was relieved when autumn came and they were shifted to their byres.

Sheep are just spooky, and only at night, when you suddenly catch a whole herd's silently staring eyes in your torchlight....

Quote Originally Posted by FUTUREMatt View Post
    I took a wrong turn in to a field of angry sheep (with horns) - it was the single most frightening encounter of my running career. I managed to get this photo after jumping over a wall to safety.

http://tinypic.com/r/25ic0u8/8

Seriously, look at them all. They were running from all corners. FEAR OF SHEEP.
    At this time of year ewes are mostly pregnant and farmers are daily feeding them rich additional foods - sheep nuts etc. which they hunger for. What happens is that they soon learn how 'that person' is coming and then charge on mass to be first there to grab the food. It can be intimiaidating having 100 plus ewes bleating and heading in your direction at speed, and I know one of my farming neighbours who watches out carefully that he's not trampled in the hungry stampede after an similar experience some years ago. Even my border collie used to get spooked too! But as soon as the get up close and realise you're not a nut ( ahem!) they loose interest.
    Am Yisrael Chai

Cows can be a real pain if they're 'that way out' but horses, now they do scare me, never know what to do when they charge, sprinting always seems to be the only option :-)

Sorry, I'll get my coat . . .Bolt gun.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by Mossdog View Post
    Even my border collie used to get spooked too! But as soon as the get up close and realise you're not a nut ( ahem!) they loose interest.
    My collie has been head butted a few times by sheep; which shocked him as they normally scarper. But some youngsters can be belligerent sods and refuse to move off the path!

Head butting sheep, reminds me of the joke,

What's pink and hard...

a pig with a flick knife :-)