Impossible is nothing!
    My blog

Re: Cows bloody cows

Quote Originally Posted by OneHillWonder View Post
    I likes cows.
    so do i medium rare

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    I've met countless troublesome young bullocks when i'm fishing, they play a psychological game of who's harder than who and try to get you backing down and running. The only thing to do is to stand your ground and make lots of noise, sudden charges at them waving your arms are often enough to get the message accross. If you back down you're screwed. I've been charged through woods before by the same group on the same farm all for not taking the time to square up and make then back up first before walking off.

Females are very easy to deal with, with or without calves. Don't be aggressive and just try to usher them on with friendly but firm commands, sometimes they'll move on of their own accord once they've understood you're not a threat; this is my tact with big bulls near stiles, just wait for them to get comfortable with you but always identify an escape route.

IMHO horses are far worse than cows.
    I'm not advocating anyone else take this approach, the safest way is obviously to use a different route.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I got chased by a herd last week and had to make an undignified retreat under a fence, still have the cuts to show for it. Had the dog with me though so I had made sure that I followed the fence line round the field. Dog wasn't fazed.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

I'll back Mr B up and second horses being much worse!

As...cant remember...said, if they come too close I'll tell them to "F&CK OFF" loudly and lamp um' one!

We were out walking as a family with our two dogs...one being a puppy which im very protective over...and my sister who im also protective over.

I know you should but I'd never let my dogs go if the cows charge, Id rather put myself first and trry and whack um one. I made sure my sister was ahead of me and I kept my eyes on the cows.
    Im not scared of them, and I occasioanlly perposly go into fields with cows just to let them crowd round me....but you cant drop your gaurd for a second!
    Last edited by Al Fowler; 02-08-2010 at 10:06 PM.

Up until a couple of years ago I would have said that anyone who was attacked by a cow it must have been something that were doing. I've been walking, running and biking in the countryside since I was a kid and never had a problem.

Then last year we were attacked by herd of cows and I am of a different opinion.

Yes we had a dog but he was right next to us on a short leash. Yes there were some young cows but not what I would call calves, they were nearly fully grown. The field was really small with a path runnning diagonally across it and the field was full of cows and a bull (but I'm not worried about a bull with cows about)

But literally the moment we stepped into the field they charged at us and surrounded my husband. I have never seen anything like it. He couldn't let go of the dog as they would have had to run over him to get to the dog and the chances are the dog would have stayed behind my husband for protection anyway (big wuss). He was shouting at them and flapping his arms but they were just pushing and pushing. I didn't think he would get out alive and I'm not being melodramatic. The aggression they were showing was unbelievable. I was lucky enough to be able to jump a wall as they were after my hubby who had the dog.

I did research and there has been about 58 deaths from cows in the last 5 years. That to me is not insignificant. That is farmers, vets, walkers with dogs, walkers without dogs, cyclists etc. That is just deaths then there are huge amount of injuries and absolutely no statistics on aggressive events like we went through. There is also apparently a European breed of cows over here that is far more aggressive than our usual breeds over here.

I contacted loads of organisations and was basically told that I should have altered my behaviour. They would not listen to the fact that the cows charged us the moment we stepped in the field.

It has made me really quite nervous of cows and ruined our enjoyment out in the countryside whenever we see a herd of cows. I'm always checking to make sure they are only dairy cows (which generally are not aggressive). Otherwise we make huge detours.

I think where there is a right of way through a field or out in the moors and the cows have young or there are bullocks then they should have to put up electric fencing to protect walkers etc. When we had a place over in Switzerland that's what they did in the mountains during summer grazing , the cows were encircled by electric fencing.

I generally think if you keep your wits about you and always have a handy escape route ready then cows aren't a big problem. A little wariness is a good thing, being too confident may mean you take unnecessary risks. I've been charged by cows a few times but I've always been a bit freaked out by them so I tend to keep a decent distance and in each case I've jumped a fence/wall whatever and run in the field parallel to where I was heading anyway. I'm more nervous when I'm with my 2 1/2 year old son as I know I have a good turn of speed but carrying an unpredictable toddler I'm not as confident.

I wouldn't enter a field with cows too close to the gate, and if I feel at all threatened or they run towards me. I'm gone

I am terrified of them!! I'm sure they can smell the fear. Trouble is I'm wont take my eyes off them so I'm not watching where I'm putting my feet. Once fell down a bank and straight into Coniston Water another time I fell in a bloody great hole!! That was scary as I though they would charge when I was down. The farmer was leaning on the gate just looking at me and shaking his head.
    Like the post above I hear all the time "they wont hurt you just walk through them" .................... I have been unfortunate enough to be working on the occasions that 3 casualties have come into our hospital after being attacked by cows. Sadly none of those three got up to us in Theatre.
    I would never in a million years walk straight through the centre of a field of cows. I would rather (and have) take a 1 hour detour :-O
    Geese can be scary sods too!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! but I've never head of anyone being killed by them
    I'm lovin the party that is off-road running :w00t: http://www.facebook.com/group.php?gid=124336794288432

How can horses be worse than cows? Horses are flight animals, generally scared of everything, and the only way they can damage you is if you're stood right behind one. So don't stand behind one and you're fine.

I too am terrified of cows, they are so unpredictable and unlike horses seem to relish attacking.