Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: New to the forum

New to the forum

Hello all,
    After lurking in the shadows for some time I thought I should finally register and make use of this great resource, so I have a question for anyone with local knowledge of the Manchester / Oldham areas, I spend a lot of time working on Oldham rd Manchester and I have been driving up to Dovestones reservoir to run around that area but it's a pain to sit in traffic getting there, can anyone suggest either easy ways to get there during the evening rush hour or somewhere closer with some nice off road running and hills.

I'm just getting started again after resting since Easter with Achillies Tendonitis problems so hoping the stretching has done the trick and will start again slowly.

Also are there any local clubs that run on either a Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday evening that wouldn't mind someone tagging along occaisionally

Thanks for any advice given in this thread and for all the interesting reading whilst in the shadows.

Rich

Re: New to the forum

Welcome Richard

I'm already worried about your Naving ability--East Yorks -Oldham ??

Fleeter and Alphin both live in that area around Greenfield, Turbo doesn't live too far away either. Not sure which night the local club meets, you've pennine but thats further south, Hayfield if the traveling is easier. Most of them are ok:wink:

Hi Ian,
    Don't worry about the Nav, home is East Yorks but I'm often to be found in Lancs working Monday to Thursday. There is some great stuff for running around Greenfield etc but it's a pain to get there on an evening, too much traffic in these parts, East Yorks is quiet but not many hills.

Rich

Where in East Yorks, Near the coast?

Not far away from the coast, Beverley a nice little market town handy for running and cycling on the Wolds but a fair distance from anything peaty or heathery.

Quote Originally Posted by Rich C View Post
    Not far away from the coast, Beverley a nice little market town handy for running and cycling on the Wolds but a fair distance from anything peaty or heathery.
    Know it well. Inlaws live in Hornsea and we pass through Beverley to get there. Plenty or running by the race course although not muddy or steep enough

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    Not sure which night the local club meets, you've pennine but thats further south, Hayfield if the traveling is easier. Most of them are ok:wink:
    Careful, Ian!!

Rich, you'd be more than welcome to come for a run with the Pennine crowd, but we meet on a Thursday, so that might not help you. I think Glossopdale meet a couple of evenings each week. Easy to get to from Manchester - less than 30 mins on the train I should think.

Hi Geoff,
    Thanks for the offer but I travel home on a Thursday afternoon, I reckon Iwill have to drive to any location as there's no station close by but it will be good to be a bit more social and have a run with some others.
    Rich

Yeah the Westwood near the racecourse is a great place for gentle off road stuff, picknicking and flying a kite.

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Careful, Ian!!
    He He :w00t: :w00t: :w00t: