View Poll Results: Which way?

Voters
6. You may not vote on this poll
  • Little and often

6 100.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Post injury training

Post injury training

Firstly, I’d like to apologise unreservedly for starting another thread concerning my ankle injuries but I’d like some opinion on my running pattern. I’ve been doing little 1-2m runs every other day and it’s occurred to me I might be better off doing a slow 3-4m trail midweek and then a hilly 4-5m training run at the weekend.

Which is best, little and often or normal less often?
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Re: Post injury training

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Firstly, I’d like to apologise unreservedly for starting another thread concerning my ankle injuries but I’d like some opinion on my running pattern. I’ve been doing little 1-2m runs every other day and it’s occurred to me I might be better off doing a slow 3-4m trail midweek and then a hilly 4-5m training run at the weekend.

Probably a mixture of the two, which is why I've voted for the third option.

Based on no expert knowledge and no knowledge of your injury or previous running and training schedules, I would strongly advocate gentle mileage until you're up to a sensible distance (about 30 miles a week for me, but everyone is different). I would then keep this up for about 5 to 6 weeks as a base for more focused training once you've accustomed your body to running again.

Looks like I'll be confronting this question at some point: physio reckons I might have a stress fracture of the hip

rather inconvenient

Quote Originally Posted by ZootHornRollo View Post
    Looks like I'll be confronting this question at some point: physio reckons I might have a stress fracture of the hip

rather inconvenient
    I hope they're wrong Ade, that sounds somewhat more than inconvenient.

Quote Originally Posted by Steve John B View Post
    I hope they're wrong Ade, that sounds somewhat more than inconvenient.
    cheers mate

X-ray tomorrow

Super Moderator

Good luck tomorrow Zed
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Mr B, I dont know or have followed in depth your injury issues but for myself, when I get an injury I have a couple of days off and then continue and try to train through it. Yes I do drop my times and if it is quite painful I will drop the frequency but I try to stay with a decent distance. I find the little and often option is more frustrating so try to keep the distance there. These things though are an individual choice though and are naturally very dependant on the injury and pain levels being incurred. Try varying the terrain, hilly / flat so that it exercises the joint in different ways. Good Luck and I will now take more of an interest as to how the ankle goes !
    Paul C.

... continuous effort - not strength or intelligence - is the key to unlocking our potential.

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Based on no expert knowledge and no knowledge of your injury or previous running and training schedules, I would strongly advocate gentle mileage until you're up to a sensible distance (about 30 miles a week for me, but everyone is different). I would then keep this up for about 5 to 6 weeks as a base for more focused training once you've accustomed your body to running again.
    My top weekly milage is 8, a short race at the weekend and a midweek trail, this is all my ITBS will allow; i pushed it to 12 once and was immobilised for 3 weeks! I've never run over 5.5m in one go since this time last year but that's my knee problem and a different story.

I'm trying to work out if my weekly quota of 8m should be broken into 4 or 5 very short runs or whether i should just get back to my usual pattern of 2 a week and go extra steady. So far my ankles are mending steadily but i don't think the running often is working.

Quote Originally Posted by sore legs View Post
    Mr B, I dont know or have followed in depth your injury issues but for myself, when I get an injury I have a couple of days off and then continue and try to train through it. Yes I do drop my times and if it is quite painful I will drop the frequency but I try to stay with a decent distance. I find the little and often option is more frustrating so try to keep the distance there. These things though are an individual choice though and are naturally very dependant on the injury and pain levels being incurred. Try varying the terrain, hilly / flat so that it exercises the joint in different ways. Good Luck and I will now take more of an interest as to how the ankle goes !
    I tried to train through it but it was impossible, i was resting for a fortnight or a week then getting straight back on it but as soon as i hit a contour it was like someone driving nails into the side of my feet. My ankles felt totally normal but my first grand fell outing on saturday was an unmitigated disaster (see my tussock thread ), this thread seemed worth a punt just in case someone had been there and knew what to do.
    Last edited by mr brightside; 02-08-2010 at 09:07 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

I haven't followed the history of your injury.
    My own regime is to try to run through. Once it's obvious that the injury is more than a niggle, I give it at least 2 weeks rest. After 3 weeks with no improvement I might go and see a GP.
    With a weekly mileage of just 8, I'd go for 2 runs of approx equal length because I can't see any value in 4 or 5 little jogs. The other days I might try an hour's walk or cycling or some stretching or sit-ups etc in order to do some work without stressing the injury more.

My top weekly milage is 8
    Ah. In which case, I agree with BL. Two runs of 4ish miles seems sensible to me. Good luck with your recovery.