Thread: Car hit by runner

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Car hit by runner

Out last Saturday on mile 17 of my 20miler before Borrowdale, running down steep twisty hill on road , going round a tight bend where cars have to swing out to the right (if going uphill) hugging the side of the road on oncoming side got round corner and ran straight into a car that was driving up with its wheel in the verge? Ended up standing with upper body stretched across bonnet in a worshipping pose mouthing obscenity at the rather shocked woman driver, car wheel was on my right foot, told her to reverse and she panicked and went into first rolled over it more.

Thought I would have serious damage to my legs and foot but when she finally reversed car apart from cuts and bruising nothing too bad, however it seems to have exacerbated by ankle injury (caused by posture and why I wear inserts) so my running is scuppered for the time being, back to the bike then.

At least I have satisfaction of knowing I had cracked a lens cover and damaged her bumper with my apparently rock hard legs.
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

Re: Car hit by runner

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Out last Saturday on mile 17 of my 20miler before Borrowdale, running down steep twisty hill on road , going round a tight bend where cars have to swing out to the right (if going uphill) hugging the side of the road on oncoming side got round corner and ran straight into a car that was driving up with its wheel in the verge? Ended up standing with upper body stretched across bonnet in a worshipping pose mouthing obscenity at the rather shocked woman driver, car wheel was on my right foot, told her to reverse and she panicked and went into first rolled over it more.

Thought I would have serious damage to my legs and foot but when she finally reversed car apart from cuts and bruising nothing too bad, however it seems to have exacerbated by ankle injury (caused by posture and why I wear inserts) so my running is scuppered for the time being, back to the bike then.

At least I have satisfaction of knowing I had cracked a lens cover and damaged her bumper with my apparently rock hard legs.
    "Hello, Injury Lawyers 4U?"

Two important questions:

Which shoes were you wearing?

And did you get the lady's number?

Glad you're OK.

Quote Originally Posted by TheHeathens View Post
    "Hello, Injury Lawyers 4U?"
    Why ??

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Two important questions:

Which shoes were you wearing?

And did you get the lady's number?

Glad you're OK.
    New Balance Road 1060's - I had a moment of madness and made this a hilly road run - never again now I know how dangerous road running is. I have course have changed my shoes and now will be running (when I can) in Saucony Triumph 6's.

I got the ladies number she kindly wrote it on the back of her weight watchers card. However I am in my 21st year of living in sin and I don't think my family would be happy with me seeing her so I had to let her down - gently though.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Antisocial View Post
    Why ??
    Where there is blame there is a claim.

All the best AS

Quote Originally Posted by Stagger View Post
    Where there is blame there is a claim.

All the best AS
    Thanks Stagger

I am not really into the blame culture for getting money. I think if something was really damaged or I could not work I would look into it. But I think the ankle would be difficult to prove cos it is reoccurring and would be hard to show it flaring up was a direct result of the collision. It could be argued the 17 miles on hard tarmac (that I don't normally run on) in old road trainers equally contributed. The legs are bruised but fine , it was lucky I was travelling downhill at speed cos as I said her car came off worse. If I had been going up and her down things would have been a lot different.
    Last edited by Antisocial; 06-08-2010 at 07:14 PM.