Thread: Itb?

Itb?

Hi guys

I wondered if anyone could help diagnose the following.

I'm following a marathon training plan at the moment, which saw me doing a 10k 'fast' on Sunday, then rest yesterday and a fartlek today. After a mile warm up this morning, I started to get a pain after my 3rd 'fast' interval. It was in my left leg, at the front of both my shin and lower thigh. It would go as soon as I started to walk. It came back a couple of times when I resumed slow running, but then seemed to go away as I turned for home at a very slow pace. On a steepish downhill section, even at a slow pace the pain then came back but this time centered under my left knee cap. It was sharp enough to make me walk again. Then, on the last mile (flat then uphill) I was able to run again at a slow pace pain free.

I was thinking ITB because of the downhill pain. However, I've had ITB before and it was at the side of the knee and not in the thigh or shin.

Any thoughts appreciated.

Thanks

Master

Re: Itb?

Does not sound like ITB - see a physio or a doctor interested in sports medicine.

Thanks Mike. I was thinking of a days rest tomorrow, then give it a go on Thursday. If there's still pain then I'll make an appointment with my local physio.

Really frustrating!

I agree with Mike, location of the pain doesn't make it sound like ITB. I'm not sure 1 day's rest is gonna be enough if the level of pain you had is anything to go by, but you know yr body best. Can't go too far wrong with RICE - rest, ice, compression and elevation - if there's inflammation there. we've written a short blog on this if you're interested http://globaltherapies.blogspot.com/...ries-rice.html
    Definitely see a doctor/physio if it doesn't improve
    all the best for a speedy recovery,
    Lynne

Thanks Lynne. I've been RICEing since it happened this morning. I'll have a look at your blog.

I'm not a patient patient, but I know what you mean re length of rest.

How do these things happen so quickly? I mean, one second you're running along without pain and feeling fine and the next it's there and you're looking at an enforced and frustrating lay-off. It's not fair!

Definitely not fair, I know - am nursing a knee injury, ITB related. Enjoyed a lovely, and painfree, walk out last week but failed to realise until I turned round that downhill was still painful! Patience is the key - return too soon and you'll do even more damage and be out of action even longer.