Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: DOMS - help me

DOMS - help me

I'm suffering from the worst case of DOMS I've ever had. Can hardly walk and getting in or out of the car is unbearable as it getting off the toilet! This is day 3 now and I can't carry on. Ibuprofen has little or no affect. Please help a cripple in pain.
    Ah, you have a lovely voice, a bit like Celine Dion

Re: DOMS - help me

Presumably you've done the worst case of fast downhilling after not enough eccentric training work ever?
    Once you've got them, you've got them, NSAIDs (brufen) are proven to reduce DOMS - but in one study were shown to reduce the protective effect of that episode of DOMS on the next episode.
    They're largely caused by eccentric muscle activity - that is a muscle working as it lengthens eg quads downhilling. The actual pathology at a muscle/cellular level is not well understood.
    You can protect against them by ensuring you do sufficient eccentric work in training, either running or in the gym.
    You can take paracetamol and ibuprofen together if the pain is bad, ibuprofen is the least safe of the two.
    Some believe post event ice baths reduce them, but I've read good studies refuting this notion.

Withnail
    Thanks for the reply. Not too proud to say that it's brought me close to tears. But DOMS it's odd odd pain, which almost makes me laugh. Can I help it by doing gentle exercise, like cycling, if I can swing my leg over the toptube.
    Ah, you have a lovely voice, a bit like Celine Dion

I've had more than a few episodes myself (Wansfell & BlackCombe usually the cause after a winter layoff, having to go downstairs on backside afterwards). I've always hoped a gentle spin on the bike will help but I'm not really convinced, that's anecdote and opinion not science though. I doubt it will harm, the bike is a largely concentric muscular activity.
    Sadly time usually fixes DOMS. On the bright side though, one episode protects you against another for a while, which is where appropriate eccentric training helps.

I had a ridiculous case of DOMS just last month. From my feet, shins, calf muscles and upward (even abs), I spent the mast majority of it chewing Ibuprofen, and using deep heat. Not sure if it lengthened the time it took to heal or not, but I didn't suffer much pain. I then did one race in a hell of a lot of pain, next day...most had gone.

Moral of the story, don't overtrain. Second moral, massage with deepheat (worked a treat compared to pill popping).

I have a feeling I may of broken all the rules on training and using chemicals to alleviate the pain, but I didn't care at the time. I needed to walk to the shops pain-free

ha this is funny - last wednesday i did win hill reps for the first time in ages and had savage doms - need to incorporate some regular descending (have been mainly cycling recently - helps you on the ups but not the downs).

essentially you have lots of little micro traumas from the eccentric loading described above - you need to repair them - rest and time can help this, light exercise can potentially help this by increasing blood flow to the area.

Have always found a really gentle hours spin on the flat, keeping the bike in the small ring and staying religiously in zone 1 works wonders for DOMS.

if you are a fit person, gentle exercise, or active recovery, is always the best answer. Though ofcourse not a cure.

I have a cold bath before bed and wear compression tights in bed if I have a bad episode of DOMS. Works well for me, usually go from being tight and in pain one day to pretty much fine the next when I do this. I think it's the increased bloodflow whilst sleeping that helps

Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse, West Yorkshire

In the first instance you should treat DOMS like any other muscle injury (RICE), as that's what it is, also gentle exercise as mentioned will help.

I have suffered from sever DOMS and scar tissue in the past and found that "Tiger Balm" is honestly the most effective remedy, apply it 3 times a day and do plenty of stretching.
    @IGlendinning