Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: DOMS - help me

Re: DOMS - help me

Tiger balm? Really? I never heard of using that. I might have to locate a pot and give it a try

Bailiff Bridge, Brighouse, West Yorkshire

Yes I was pleasantly suprised too! Had really bad calves after broken/sprained ankles and severe tightness or DOMS after every run but thanks to the balm it's all sorted!

Animal lovers please note that no real tigers were harmed in writing this post!
    @IGlendinning

Similar to Rob above, I'm a masive believer in compression tights for recovery & I use them regularly after hard sessions. Some good research to back this up but anecdotally I can certainly recommend their effectiveness, have a made a huge difference to me not just in reducing DOMS but speeding up recovery full stop. Still think, IMHO & as said above, no substitute for good quality eccebtric training though..
    "You have brains in your head, your feet in your shoes, you can steer yourself in any direction you choose". Dr Seuss.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Is it just me who loves the DOMS? That feeling that only comes after you've really pushed yourself? I must admit, sometimes it is a bit too much, like last week after my first time on Pendle for a couple of months - 4 climbs in quick(?) succession. Run Sunday, and sure enough, by Tues/Weds my quads had stopped working and I was walking like I'd pooed myself, and having to lift my legs in and out of the car. The short, flat run from the park n ride to the office followed by a good stretch helped to loosen it up. Trouble is, I was then trying to run more on the forefoot, so by the weekend, my calves had decided to pack in instead.

I generally have some level of soreness/tightness in my body permanently: both upper and lower with all the weights work I do as well. I love the sensation. I also love really hammering my core after a while out of training, and finding myself waking up a couple of days later in bed, and unable to get out of it - sitting up impossible and having to roll-out. Great fun.

Learn to embrace it!
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

Interesting that only one person here mentioned stretching; it's become vital to me now, as I get older! If I don't stretch after a good (!) run or a long walk, I feel sore afterwards. But if I stretch, it isn't anywhere near as bad. It only takes a few minutes - might be worth trying?

I always stretch after a run too, but I haven't noticed it help too much with DOMS except for reducing the tight feeling.

I need to run more. southernsoftie's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    I always stretch after a run too, but I haven't noticed it help too much with DOMS except for reducing the tight feeling.
    With me, for instance after my Pendle run, I did spend a lot of time stretching but it was never going to prevent DOMS: too much punishment on legs that aren't used to it. But during a bout of DOMS, some light exercise on the affected muscles, followed by a good stretch does - I find - help alleviate the symptoms, and speed the DOMS on its way.
    "The best shield is to accept the pain, then what can really destroy me?"

http://garyufm.blogspot.co.uk

there's also a body of thought that regular use of compression tights actually reduces your bodies natural ability to recover via homeostatic process.....once in a while great idea...all the time,not so great

Thanks for all the responses. Much better 5 days later. Found that in the end cycling helped greatly, although I had to lift my leg over the toptube and setting off was very painfull as was try to ride out of the saddle. Lesson learnt I guess, until next time!
    Ah, you have a lovely voice, a bit like Celine Dion

Cosy up to your GP and see if he/she'll consider prescribing some decent painkillers for occasional use only. I've found co-codamol or co-dydramol 30/500 very effective.

To anyone thinking about having a rant about the irresponsible use of opiates; i'm suggesting an occasional use only for when you've really overdone it. If you're giving yourself DOMS on a regular basis (especially if it's in training not racing) then you should consider changing your approach! (sorry gary!) Training overload is one thing, serious muscle damage is quite another.