Page 62 of 69 FirstFirst ... 12526061626364 ... LastLast

Thread: The Hebden

Re: The Hebden

I decided to drop out last night due to the weather here getting worse and extrapolating that to a bit of an icy nightmare following today.

Looks like I backed the wrong horse, so to speak.

Glad it all seems to have gone well. I did get out over Shutlingsloe (thigh deep snow drifts) whereupon the dog enjoyed chasing a very brave rabbit for half an hour and went sledging with the girls (time well spent), but sounds like Hebden was good craic.

See you next time.
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Absolutely brilliant morning out.
    The drive over was a breeze, even the high route via the White House and Cragg Vale.
    The mud from last week had largely frozen, making for unexpectedly easy going, whilst the light dusting of snow cushioned a lot of the downhills.
    The still, cold air was just the right temperature too!
    I finished with dry feet as well - the first time I have done so for months and months!
    Brilliant start and finish venue and great checkpoints.
    I'll definitely be back next year.
    this basically covers most things I was going to say, so Thanks MarkL!

great forum turnout, good to see MrsS, MG, DT, BritNick, Splatcher

I whizzed along well ahead of my sub-5 schedule, and although the wheels came off after CP4, I just about held on for a 4:57 :thumbup:
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Brilliant work Daz...I'm jealous! Big well done! :thumbup:
    I too wished for a sub 5 but was really just so glad to get round the long route at all given that I've not done much running lately and suffering with ITB troubles. It's the only long run I've done since October so naturally, the last 6 miles were a long drawn out process! 5 hr 9 min for me. Also, perhaps if I hadn't have stopped and ate so much cake I would have done it quicker! :w00t:
    Great day though, thoroughly enjoyed!

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post

I whizzed along well ahead of my sub-5 schedule, and although the wheels came off after CP4, I just about held on for a 4:57 :thumbup:
    Only one who will risk going too far can possibly find out how far one can go. -T.S.Eliot

The finishing times are now on the website at http://www.alangreenwood.biz/th2013/...mes%202013.pdf
    Alan G

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Greenwood View Post
    The finishing times are now on the website at http://www.alangreenwood.biz/th2013/...mes%202013.pdf
    Thanks Alan - you're a star!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Well that was a fantastic event! The best organised and most friendly I've ever been too. First class.

Many thanks to the marshals as well! The food was second to none! Stopped for 10 minutes at CP3 for a banquet!

Probably the only race I've done and eaten more calories than burnt off!

Mulled wine at the finish as well...didn't fancy it, but nice to have the choice!

Good to see a few familiar faces! Did you finish the long in the end Alf?

Quote Originally Posted by DazTheSlug View Post

Summed up well by Mark. I didn't need to take the train and Friday night accommodation after all, but glad I did. It made a relaxing change.

Daz, good to see you, and well done with your sub 5 in those conditions. :thumbup:

Also good to catch up (not literally) with Protodoc, Steampig, Mrs Stagger, Splatcher, Stef F, Derby Tup, Tussockface, Karen Nash and plenty of others.

I wore my Kahtoolas all the way round. I was grateful for the assured grip they gave me but on balance I think they slowed me down, since my time (within two minutes of a PW) was the second slowest out of all seven, even with that enforced short cut along the road to avoid the inevitable snow drift. I have to say though, I've never spent so long inside CP3. I penetrated all the way through to the inner sanctum for a sweet cuppa, which was too hot to gulp down. With all those sandwiches and stollen I didn't want to leave.

As always, many thanks to Alan, Carole and the hoards of friendly marshals. You did us so proud once again.

I took some winter wonderland pictures, which I hope to upload tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by lantern rouge View Post
    I decided to drop out last night due to the weather here getting worse and extrapolating that to a bit of an icy nightmare following today.

Looks like I backed the wrong horse, so to speak.

Glad it all seems to have gone well. I did get out over Shutlingsloe (thigh deep snow drifts) whereupon the dog enjoyed chasing a very brave rabbit for half an hour and went sledging with the girls (time well spent), but sounds like Hebden was good craic.

See you next time.
    Comparing the turn out stats for 2012 and 2013 - massive increase in no shows.
    I wonder how many of them genuinely couldn't make it, and how many soft-arses succumbed to that met office prophesy/mind f*ck known as "the weather forecast." ? Come Friday I was seeing red triangles in my sleep.

Come on Mark, spit it out, don't hold back. Anyway, why would they let real facts stand in the way of a good story and a chance to impress/scare?

Photos just uploaded. They make me wish I was back there. A few forumites may be spotted. This must be you thinking I was going for a pee, Longdogs? I was non-plussed why someone would stand up there to hand out refreshments. What a nice gesture. Nice to meet you in passing.

Quote Originally Posted by MarkL View Post
    Comparing the turn out stats for 2012 and 2013 - massive increase in no shows.
    I wonder how many of them genuinely couldn't make it, and how many soft-arses succumbed to that met office prophesy/mind f*ck known as "the weather forecast." ? Come Friday I was seeing red triangles in my sleep.

A lesser man might be offended by that...
    www.macclesfield-harriers.co.uk
    Teggs Nose Fell Race Saturday 4th August 2018 14.30

Simon Cartledge