Page 68 of 69 FirstFirst ... 185866676869 LastLast

Thread: The Hebden

Quote Originally Posted by stevefoster View Post
    Attachment 7960Amex and Mrs.Amex did the short Nick. Great pics as usual, nice to see you and many others. Big thanks to Alan, Carol and the crew for another great Hebden
    That's not quite right Mr Merrylegs we did the medium a new route devised by Mrs Amex that made it 16.7 miles---- we had words!

Good to see so many and what a fantastic route, popped in at Staff of Life on way home perfect Sat.

It felt like 4000 foot of climb to check point 4 anybody got height gain I forgot to turn on my Watch on
    Going to try again....

Nice pictures Nick. It was my first time and really enjoyed it. The conditions were perfect, hopefully be there again next year and try not to get lost :-D

_|_
    ./\.

A cracking event once again. The snow and frozen ground up high made for faster going than last year. As ever the checkpoint volunteers and food were great! My Garmin got 1430m of elevation gain. It was just under 300m (1000') from the valley up to the moor before dropping down to CP4 and the tiffin!

Quote Originally Posted by OnTheRun View Post
    A cracking event once again. The snow and frozen ground up high made for faster going than last year. As ever the checkpoint volunteers and food were great! My Garmin got 1430m of elevation gain. It was just under 300m (1000') from the valley up to the moor before dropping down to CP4 and the tiffin!
    Cheers OTR
    Is that 1430 Total elevation to CP4 and roughly 1000 foot for last climb on the short
    Going to try again....

No, sorry, I should have explained better. The 1430 was for the whole 22. The short route would be about 1000 including the 300 climb before CP4.

Another fine Hebden yesterday with a number of old friends and forumites in evidence. BritNick was doing his best to hide, lurking somewhere between encroaching thickets of hair, but I spotted him and claimed my £5.
    Great to see the hall back in action after the floods. The pork pies were still Grade A and a glass of mulled wine went down well and probably helped stave off post-race cramp.
    Judging by the amount of cut-back holly and other foliage in some sections, the organisers had worked very hard on preparing the course. The potentially tricky section across the open moorland from Dick's Lane is also now very well marked, which takes away some of the excitement but I'm sure is very sensible and would be a Godsend in mist.

Book now for next year!

(Joke; but only just, given the ever-increasing popularity of the event.)
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Quote Originally Posted by Tussockface View Post
    Another fine Hebden yesterday with a number of old friends and forumites in evidence. BritNick was doing his best to hide, lurking somewhere between encroaching thickets of hair, but I spotted him and claimed my £5.
    Great to see the hall back in action after the floods. The pork pies were still Grade A and a glass of mulled wine went down well and probably helped stave off post-race cramp.
    Judging by the amount of cut-back holly and other foliage in some sections, the organisers had worked very hard on preparing the course. The potentially tricky section across the open moorland from Dick's Lane is also now very well marked, which takes away some of the excitement but I'm sure is very sensible and would be a Godsend in mist.

Book now for next year!

(Joke; but only just, given the ever-increasing popularity of the event.)
    Well said Phil, fantastic run out. I still manage to incorporate at least one nav error into every Hebden I've done, one of these days I'll get a clear round. I've never remembered yet to take the right line off the final descent and join the Greenway rather than running over the bridge!

Apple crumble was also very good.
    Martyn Price
    North Leeds Fell Runners

Having done several consecutive Hebdens with no navigational errors whatsoever, I think I lost focus yesterday and managed two!

The first was a brief foray into the front garden of an innocent and unsuspecting householder in Pecket Well.
    The second, just after Gibson Mill, involved climbing about 150ft on steps that resembled a garden water feature. I knew after the first 30ft that I'd gone wrong, but thought I'd be able to contour round and join the correct path further up the valley. Thanks to Jo from CVFR who somehow recognised me from a distance and enlightened me on the point.
    "Get yourself together, Jones" - Ray Davies

Good to see you there, Tf, but I wouldn't pay you in brass washers. What a great event as always. I've done every one since it started in 2007. There have been a few route amendments over the years due to weather past and present, but this year we seemed to be back onto the full fat route, including last checkpoint back where it used to be. The path across the moor top was more visible this year than I ever remember. I too noticed the holly trimmings. I also noticed several footpath improvements with industrial strength drainage provision.

I managed to take a few photos on the way round.

I've written a blog about the Hebden if anyone fancies a read. Hope you don't mind me using a few of your pics Nick (I can always remove if not), cheers.

https://benmounsey.net/2017/01/31/the-hebden/