Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Mizuno Wave Harrier 2

Mizuno Wave Harrier 2

Has anybody got this shoe if so what is it like for a fell shoe.

Re: Mizuno Wave Harrier 2

I have. Its excellent. Its not really an all out fell shoe as such, more of a 'good weather fell shoe' if that makes any sense, but I've raced in them several times. Great on trails. It has quite a broad fit but a nice low profile for a trail shoe. They are a bit of a forum favourite.

My only criticism is that they are slippy on wet rock, as I found to my great cost at Calver Fell Race, and again shortly after on a training run. But what isn't? Inovs have the 'sticky' sole but I struggle with the heels on them.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

I have a pair of MudClaw 330s for the fells, they not bad on wet rock. Just need a pair of light weight shoes like the harrier, for short races which have roads, trails etc. Any recomendations.

My favourites - New Balance MT840. Similar premise to the Wave Harrier but a little more cushioned. I've seen folks on the BGR in them. Suitable for racing too, I've done my last two in them. And only £50.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Quote Originally Posted by richardbriscoe View Post
    Has anybody got this shoe if so what is it like for a fell shoe.
    My favourite fell shoe! Have got quite broad feet so they're a good fit, especially round the toes. And the sole is not undercut away in the inner foot as in Inov8s (sorry Inov8 lovers, but it's true). You have a broader platform to run on so to speak.

Not particularly grippy on wet rock (not much is!) and not particularly cushioned on those hard sections, but I've managed long days out and races without any concern.

Onto my umpteenth pair now.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Agree the Harrier is not an out and out fell shoe, but it does perform well in a lot of conditions, including grassy slopes.

Very keen on the Harrier, have also used them on races like Ingleborough and the three peaks as well as trails. A variation on theme are the Inov-8 flyrocs they don't feel as grippy and aggressive as the harrier but I think they are and perform as well. Or if you want a more cushioned trail shoe but with grip Nike Red rocks 11 are good, but there are ethical issues with Nike.

If I had one shoe to take to a desert Island out of the 3 pairs I would go for the harrier over the flyroc at a push, but it could depend what side of bed I got out of.

Incidently you can get the older colour of this for £30 here, they only have smaller sizes though

http://www.sportsshoes.com/products/...o+wave+harrier
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

The "2" is an old model now, they have updated it to Mizuno Wave Harrier 3, this time it is blue!

I don't know what´s been changed apart from the colour, but it does look like the toebox is altered. It was a bit to big even for wide feet.
    Have anybody tried the 3 yet?

I love the shoe, I sometimes even uses them on orienteering. Low profile but feels cushioned. The only downside is the grip on wet rocks.

Keighley - a bit too near lancashire for comfort

Not me, thought i read some where they were looking at a sticky rubber compound for this - may have dreamt it though. I found the toe box perfect, I hope they have not mucked about with it too much. I have to size up with the flyrocs but not the harriers.
    Coniv-8 not knowingly evidenced to improve performance

Agreed. If it ain't broke...
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

I like em too. Raced plenty in them and only felt held back when it gets quite steep or dirty. Good for training on more mixed ground too as they are pretty hardwearing. Only criticism is mine have started to split in a couple of places where the upper meets the sole and around the Mizuno badge. Probably left dirty for too long covered in peaty fabric-rotting filth