Thread: Help - over training?

Help - over training?

Hi All

I'm training for my first marathon - the Yorkshireman - so just three and a bit weeks to go now. As it's my first marathon, the training schedule has me running to a degree I've never experienced before and, as a result, I'm very much in the middle of learning the difference between a 'tired' ache and an 'overuse' pain/ache. In particular, my knees!

My Runners World training schedule has me running c. 45 miles per week at the moment, though I've just started the taper part. I've done two 20 mile LSRs the last two Sundays. This Sunday is meant to be 22 miles, then down to 18 miles, 10 miles and then the race.

Last night I went out for my Wednesday night slow run, after the Tuesday night 'speed' splits. As usual of late, my kness felt a little 'achey' at the start, but this normally goes away within a short period, as it generally did last night - to a degree. However, I finished the run last night determined that I wouldn't be doing my Thursday night brisk run, and would instead rest for at least two days (including my normal Friday rest day), before perhaps doing my normal 4 slow miles on Saturday and then the LSR on Sunday.

I'm worried though. My knees are certainly on the tender side today. Thankfully, I've got the day off, so I'm completely resting with my feet up. I'm not in pain, it's more just a little discomfort.

To the point of the post - can anyone offer any advice? I may just be looking for reassuring comfort. I may have done a bit too much, but will two or three days rest sort it out, ready for Sunday. Is this normal? I'm not exactly a spring chicken (40) and maybe things do just get a little more, not sore, but 'uncomfortable' as we get older?

Thanks

Super Moderator

Re: Help - over training?

First thing to consider is that you've broken the back of your training and even if you don't run much more before the YORM you'll be in decent shape now. I'd be inclined to rest for a couple of days as you suggest and review the situation Saturday / Sunday. Incidentally, if you knees hurt after sitting down for a period of time and particularly walking down stairs / steps then you might have Runners Knee. Have you tried icing your knees? Also taking ibruprofen? Good luck
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Thanks DT. I iced last night, but have yet to do so today - off to the freezer!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by wjr View Post
    Thanks DT. I iced last night, but have yet to do so today - off to the freezer!
    Every couple of hours is good but don't overdo it. It's very difficult if you're not used to hard training and you're ramping it up, knowing what's an injury and what is 'honest' pain from hard work
    Poacher turned game-keeper

I had the same thing. Ice and massage helped alot but I had to back off the training for a week or so until the tenderness subsided.
    My very exciting running blog

Thanks ross88guy. Three days of almost complete rest, icing etc, worked wonders to the extent that I decided last night to try the YORM recce today. My left knee felt a little tight at times, but held up very well and no pain. I managed 21m over a slow 3 hrs 40min. Chuffed to bits. Thankfully my mileage comes down now as I taper towards the 12th. Complete rest tomorrow and I may miss this Tuesday's training run to try to let it settle down agaiin (it feels a little tender again now - but nowhere near as bad as it did last week).

Runner's knee is very common. Often it hurts like billy-oh but just for the first half mile or so, then it fades, if you're lucky. I reckon you'll be pleased with that 3:40 time and 5 more miles to run.
    I'd probably consider training on alternate days for a while and go for long slow distance at a conversational pace, finishing off with a bit more pace over 5 or 6 miles runs if the knee was happy.

Cheers BL. I'd be massively happy with 3.40 for 21 miles on the day. Today though, I was cream crackered at the finish - I blame it on JP's blazing pace :-)