Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diggers on Calva

Diggers on Calva

Attachment 3926

Proof if it were needed that the BGR is getting ever more popular - these photos were on what used to be the trod leading up Calva. The path was wide and worn after a summer's battering and some major work is being done. Photos taken today...

Attachment 3925
    Attachment 3924

Re: Diggers on Calva

Any idea who is doing the work? The landowner or the national park?

As for high use: the last five years (not including this year) have seen 290 successes whereas the last five years of the 1980s saw 333 successes. Also the success rate is improving - it used to be in the ratio of around 1 in 3 but is now 1 in 2 or so. However anti-clockwise used to be more popular so any failures wouldn't get round to the Skiddaw section. The size of support parties may also be an issue.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

Not sure who's doing the work Bob, i didn't ask the chap that. Was surprised to see the roadworks road signs on the hill though. There was one near the top of the trod where it meets the main path near the summit and another on the 4*4 track at the bottom. The digger was halfway between. He was laying down a series of thick heather 'mats' from cut sections of heather across the path. It was looking starkly eroded yesterday.

Interesting stat about completions Bob, i stand corrected. Perhaps you're right about the support parties. Perhaps there is more recceing too. I wonder if people used to go a number of different ways on this section and now there is a standard way? Also, the damage will be cumulative year on year and so suppose it's just reached that point.

Whilst I'm on, i noticed two other things on that leg yesterday as i went round a/c (had a lovely day, starting at Dunmail). First, there is a continuous trod from the Caldew to the top of Calva on the direct route now, although it's rough and not much fun going up but might be easier c/w. I;d never noticed it before and i've done this section 20+ times. THere used to be trods for bits of that section, but now it's top to bottom.

The other thing i noticed was that at the point at which the path/trod leading down to Hare Crag leaves the fence below the north top of Skiddaw, the fence post has some green and yellow tape wrapped around the top. I never saw it before because i usually cut the corner going c/w but i was interested to see yesterday how far that track went up as i always hit it fairly far down. It is fainter towards the top, but it is there and leads right to the fence, and the tape marks that exact point. I'm sure i would have never noticed it if i wasn't aware of the significance of that point.
    Last edited by Mark Smith; 28-08-2010 at 09:43 AM.

Super Moderator

I was amazed when I saw the 'men at work' sign on my second unsuccessful attempt and thought someone had dumped it there as a prank. I never for a second thought it was serious. Similarly it never crossed my mind that the diggers were repairing Bob Graham Round caused damage
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Going c/w I've only picked up the trod going from Great Calva to the Caldew at about half height -it's not prominent really throughout its length - the path from Skiddaw over Hare Crag used to be (five years ago) that sort of mark on the ground.

As for the Skiddaw - Hare Crag path, it's really obvious from about ten metres from the fence all the way to the Skiddaw House road. Five years ago the quad bike track was more prominent - I think that was from erecting the fences - but now the BGR route has taken over. I'm not sure that any tape is needed on the fence - from memory there are three fence posts very close together at that point, say within two metres, that is a good reference point.

Most vegetation can suffer a limited period of wear but it then needs some time to recover. It's surprising how little traffic is required to create a physical path on the ground - our dog created one through the grass alongside the lane by walking along the tarmac just once a day for a year or so.
    Bob

http://bobwightman.co.uk/run/bob_graham.php

Without me you'd be one place nearer the back

You're right about the fence posts bob, there are three close together. I usually cross further back, where there is an old iron fence post right behind the new fence, thereby cutting the corner. I'd never bothered locating the top of the track before but it's pretty clear.

Hare crag looked very worn, like it'd had a busy summer.

Diggers on Calva - yes what a hoot, and they are covering up the trod! But hopefully they will be adressing the very boggy conditions, by improved draininge, to help speed up future BG attempts.

In terms of marking the way down to Hare Crag from Skiddaw the tape wasnt there yesterday - but as pointed out this is rather "gay" and unnecessary as there are the three fence posts all together. I also apprecciated the three slates in a small pile marking the cut off through the screes below Blencathra's left summit - lets try and mark the route in a way more in keeping with the location...

Cheers,

And there's a winding path going up Sail now currently under construction, from the Causey Pike side. I know the path up there was pretty wide, but it's just how it is, it wasn't badly eroded or damaged, yet now it looks like an artificial mess. I don't really see the issue with erosion in a lot of places. Sail for example is used almost exclusively by walkers, who happen to like tackling difficult terrain. So why do we need to waste time and money making the path worse for the people that use it? The path was never obvious, unless you were there and didn't spoil the landscape, yet now there's a brown snake winding it's way up that's visible for miles around.

I've been known to take my bike up there and, with that hat on, it's probably an easier climb and a better descent now there are corners, but they did the same on Skiddaw and ruined it completely. A decade later and it still hasn't bedded down to something remotely challenging on a bike, or interesting to walk on.

Everytime I'm out walking or biking I see rock has been choppered in all over the place for these 'repairs', Helvellyn, Rossett Gill, High Street, Red Screes, etc etc, all are perfectly fine. I find the artificial trails much more offensive than a bit of erosion in most cases.

Essential maintenance, it happens all over but there are still plenty of challenging decents (with row) for bikes and you can learn some new trails whilst finding them. I certainly wouldn't like to have the job of looking after the trails in the Lake district with the huge amount of trafic it gets.

Master

Unnecessary path repairs is one of my pet hates, the worst example being what they did to the Howgills.
    Most recently, the path from the Kirkstone Pass up to Stoney Cove Pike is being spoiled by 'repairs' which include sections that were previously barely worn at all.
    And a couple of weeks ago we were descending from Pavey Ark using one of the constructed paths (the one on the eastern side of Stickle Gill, not the more commonly used one on the west - which is currently undergoing roadworks). All the stones on it slope downhill, so it will be treacherous in the rain/ice, and not surprisingly there are already new paths being worn on either side as people choose to avoid it.
    It's not often I agree with Cameron McNeish, but his mini-rant in a recent TGO was spot-on, complaining about the soulless straight-line motorway that has been built up Place Fell.