Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: training for whernside

training for whernside

little or no training for the last few weeks, it looks like i am going to have to get out today and put an hour in. i can't have brotherton lad beating me:wink::wink:
    Marxist Leninism is a weapon of the workers

Re: training for whernside

Bummer, competition. It's probably what I need, mind, my pattern since about May is to turn up at a race, run it (about 30 mins slower than I'd hoped), then rest for a fortnight before the next race. Maybe I'll get a decent bounce off Sunday's Yorkshireman marathon.

What sort of time were you running in the 90s?

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    Bummer, competition. It's probably what I need, mind, my pattern since about May is to turn up at a race, run it (about 30 mins slower than I'd hoped), then rest for a fortnight before the next race. Maybe I'll get a decent bounce off Sunday's Yorkshireman marathon.

If he's who I think he is JtB was definitely no slouch - mind you the year I did it and had fun in the clag I believe he did even more so!! :wink:

are you doing the yorkshireman? my training partner is in this and i am doing his support.
    i wont be at the start but i could see you somewhere on route or at the end.

take no notice of multi, my times were quite modest

Yes, at Haworth this Sunday. A bit ambitious given the way the year has panned out, but I've gone for the marathon, realistically probably only 4:30 at best.
    Looking at past Whernside results and the names I know, then maybe around the 2 hour mark on a good day. I'm guessing we're a similar age or so, you being a grandfather and my first grandchild due in the spring.

(You've changed your font)

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    If he's who I think he is JtB was definitely no slouch - mind you the year I did it and had fun in the clag I believe he did even more so!! :wink:
    multi, if it was the year i think you are on about then at least i did finish.

i think 3 were a little ahead of me and matt whitfield at the top of whernside. the leaders must have got lost and we were the first of wherside. the clag was as thick as pea soup. i set my compass for the crossing from check point 2 high pike to great coum. instead of setting it at 280 (i think thats what it is now if i remember) i set it for 180. the worse thing was i knew just by the feel that it was wrong. we even crossed the path that is now used for the race and i didn't recognise it. as matt was a local i thought he would have known it was wrong.

after some running we ended up in a valley that was clear as a bell. we didn't know where we was and so the map came out. we looked at it and then put it away none the wiser. how we found our way back i don't know.

trying to be modest i think i could have won that day if we made it across to great coum without a fuss. i was running very strong and i felt matt was struggling a little. next year matt was the best thing on sliced bread, he was that good.

different now, i just plod. i have good months where i train hard and i think i could make a runner again and then there are bad months where i don't do much. but i am knocking on now.

Yes, at Haworth this Sunday. A bit ambitious given the way the year has panned out, but I've gone for the marathon, realistically probably only 4:30 at best.
    Looking at past Whernside results and the names I know, then maybe around the 2 hour mark on a good day. I'm guessing we're a similar age or so, you being a grandfather and my first grandchild due in the spring.

(You've changed your font)
    you will like the yorkshireman. i think it has reverted back to it's old course. it's a beautiful area. the first half is the real fells, where i do must of my training. the second half is like an off road trail.

congratulations on your first grandchild when he/she arrives. by the way i am in the wrong half of the 40's.

the font change was a mistake. i do like this one

I'm in the right half of the 50s (March 58), obviously you're a younger breeding outfit. I'd taken you to be a tad older by some of your references.

i don't like change. i feel safe in the old ways. i would like to go back there. stupid i know.

Quote Originally Posted by john the baptist View Post
    multi, if it was the year i think you are on about then at least i did finish.

...and you still finished in front of me. I only really remember it as I was taken by surprise as you and Matt came flying past me along the final bridleway before dropping through the final fields to the finish.

Anyway enjoy this year's race.