Thread: Tough Guy 2011

Tough Guy 2011

My husband did Tough Guy in January, he's generally an unfit type and quite lazy. Follwing this event a debate ensued about which of us was 'tougher' - him for doing Tough Guy or me for running 20+ mile fell races. Given that he's never going to run a 20+ mile fell race to compare events I've entered Tough Guy 2011. I'm thinking this is quite a stupid decision.

For anyone that has done it before - do I need to do upper body strength training? At the mo I can manage about half a press-up and no pull ups at all.

Re: Tough Guy 2011

Quote Originally Posted by Dru View Post
    My husband did Tough Guy in January, he's generally an unfit type and quite lazy. Follwing this event a debate ensued about which of us was 'tougher' - him for doing Tough Guy or me for running 20+ mile fell races. Given that he's never going to run a 20+ mile fell race to compare events I've entered Tough Guy 2011. I'm thinking this is quite a stupid decision.

For anyone that has done it before - do I need to do upper body strength training? At the mo I can manage about half a press-up and no pull ups at all.
    I don't know the answer Dru but if you're willing to do the Tough Guy but he won't match you by doing a 20+miler then I think you both have your answer any way. Tell him he's a wimp

In my opinion, and that of many I know that have done it, there's nothing really tough about Tough Guy except the cold. The course is not particuarly challenging except for the fact that it can be bitterly cold and so your muscles end up seizing up. The year I did it was a really cold one and the leaders were breaking ice through the water. I didn't find the challenges difficult and there's minimal running (especially if you're used to 20 mile fell runs), it's just getting into the cold water all the time that's horrible, especially when you have to fully submerse. I was nigh on hypothermic when I got to the finish but that was mainly having to wait (when cold and wet) at every single obstacle as there are queues for everything (it's a horrible busy event). I would have liked more running just to keep warm.

Personally I would never recommend anyone does Tough Guy becuase I was hospitalised 2 days later with a virus I picked up there (you do realise your putting your head in water that contains animal wee and poo!!!). I couldn't get out of bed for a month, couldn't work for 6 months (lost my job) and still think I've never completely recovered almost 5 years later. I know I'm not the only person who has been very ill after this event.

Besides the event is grossly over priced.

But in principle and having done both I would say a 20 mile fell race is harder.

Well it seems it was too tough for you.
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

And you should have run faster then you wouldn't have had to queue.

Quote Originally Posted by Grouse View Post
    Well it seems it was too tough for you.
    Getting cold queing for abstacles isn't my idea of tough - and I started at the back cause I got there too late to get anywhere near the front. Not knowing the course I didn't know that would be a problem. Having to queue all round the course isn't exactly well advertised as part of the 'tough' experience. I could get that down Sainsbury's any Saturday afternon

It wasn't 'too tough' for me, I picked up a virus from the rank water on the course.

If someone wants to waste huge amounts of money to test themselves on an event that really is not that physically demanding then that's their choice but since my exerience I will always seek to warn people that I and others got seriously ill from picking something up in the water there. I was rushed to hospital with suspected meningitis and was very poorly for 6 months. That wasn't a pleasant expereince that I'd want anyone to suffer.

Yikes! You've put me right off. Money paid now though so too late to back out......

Well queuing is tough and we British are good at it. Remember Dunkirk.

Dru it is a good laugh, don't be put off too much, I went slow on the run thinking I would need to save energy for the killing fields but if you are fit you don't need to and you should use your advantage as a runner. You need a bit of upper body strengt but not too much, I just did a bit on the weights on the run up . As a fell runner you will be far fitter than your average competitor I think. Just don't drink the water.