Page 44 of 56 FirstFirst ... 34424344454654 ... LastLast

Thread: Are Park Runs Destructive ?

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    OB1, the now-regular 82yo not quite bringing up the rear at Marple is my dad (I'm guessing he struggled with the underfoot conditions today after his pb last week). He was a sub 2.35 marathon man in mid-1950s so has slowed a little since those days!
    Multi, that's great to hear!
    Funnily enough we chatted to an elderly (70+) runner as we were warming up, so looking at the results there is a 1 in 3 chance he was your dad.
    Will look out and try and reduce the odds to 100% on my next Marple visit.

Just a thought - He's unlikely to be at the Junior Parkrun tomorrow is he?
    (My girl have just voted for a Sunday lie in, anyway).
    Powered by Ugali.

Quote Originally Posted by OB1 View Post
    Well done WH - for your top 3 today and highest Age grade. Doing a 70%+ on that course in todays conditions was a great effort. In better conditions you would probably have got the course age grade record for your banding.

In my current state (injury free and good fitness) I managed a course PB at our local Marple course.
    Hi OB1 - managed to nick the V60 record at Bunyaville by 4 seconds on Saturday! B2B this weekend.
    Well done with your PB at Marple - I've never done the Marple parkrun but used to run round Brabyns on a regular basis as I lived in Marple Bridge around 40 years ago.

Welsh Harrier
    http://travellinglightatsixtyplus.blogspot.com.au/
    Last edited by Welsh Harrier; 03-09-2014 at 07:53 AM.

Master
    Quote Originally Posted by Welsh Harrier View Post
    Hi OB1 - managed to nick the V60 record at Bunyaville by 4 seconds on Saturday! B2B this weekend.
    Well done with your PB at Marple - I've never done the Marple parkrun but used to run round Brabyns on a regular basis as I lived in Marple Bridge around 40 years ago.

Welsh Harrier
    Nice effort WH. I had to smile reading your comment about the 2 young whippersnappers.
    Look at it this way, they were just providing some LHS balance to counter your RHS leverage on the age-grade chart.
    http://www.goodrunguide.co.uk/AgeGrading.asp
    Powered by Ugali.

I love the title of this thread, it is a perfect example of a leading question. :-)

I've done 3 park runs now over the past year at different places and I've loved them all. People are always welcoming, and it is great you can just turn up and run.

As a concept to get people fit and into running I think its perfect.

Calderdale folk may be interested to know that (according to the Halifax parkrun volunteers facebook page) there are not one but three parkruns with funding approved for the district, Halifax finally starting 'soon' with Todmorden and Brighouse to follow. Halifax & Brighouse should take some pressure off Huddersfield which I've heard has up to 600 runners some weeks.

Quote Originally Posted by Multiterrainer View Post
    Calderdale folk may be interested to know that (according to the Halifax parkrun volunteers facebook page) there are not one but three parkruns with funding approved for the district, Halifax finally starting 'soon' with Todmorden and Brighouse to follow. Halifax & Brighouse should take some pressure off Huddersfield which I've heard has up to 600 runners some weeks.
    Two parkruns lined up shortly for North Wales which has been bereft of parkruns so far. One in Bangor and one in the Llandudno area so keep you eyes peeled.

We've been away since June doing parkies in Australia but it will be nice to get back for some early Saturday runs. Mind you in Australia they start at 7 am!

Most parkruns in Oz are on road and many of them are on concrete which I don't find very forgiving. But we have found one in North Brusbane which is off road and hilly - are there any comparable parkruns in the UK?

Welsh Harrier

WH: Forest of Dean is on trails (parkrun website still down). The women's record was a dog assisted age-category world record (or close) until parkrun reached their new agreement with Powerof10/RunBritain. Llyn Llech Owain is mostly gravelly trails.

Last edited by LissaJous; 17-09-2014 at 12:11 PM.

Two parkruns lined up shortly for North Wales which has been bereft of parkruns so far. One in Bangor and one in the Llandudno area so keep you eyes peeled.

We've been away since June doing parkies in Australia but it will be nice to get back for some early Saturday runs. Mind you in Australia they start at 7 am!

Most parkruns in Oz are on road and many of them are on concrete which I don't find very forgiving. But we have found one in North Brusbane which is off road and hilly - are there any comparable parkruns in the UK?

Welsh Harrier
    Oakwell Hall (my new favourite within a short drive of west Leeds) is 80% on trails and includes a zig-zag descent followed by a short sharp climb up steps after a stream crossing (bridge not splash!) - http://connect.garmin.com/activity/566054189

I did not realise that Oakwell Hall park run existed. There are loads within striking distance of Leeds now.

Master

Welsh Harrier
    Lyme Park is trail and quite hilly for a Parkrun.
    Not done it yet mind, but it is on my shortlist for autumn.