Thread: Sickness after running....

Sickness after running....

After doing my long runs (15 miles +) I feel really sick for the rest of the day and generally exhausted. Any tips to prevent this happening??? Ta

Re: Sickness after running....

Quote Originally Posted by lowden View Post
    After doing my long runs (15 miles +) I feel really sick for the rest of the day and generally exhausted. Any tips to prevent this happening??? Ta
    I only get this on very long races, but I try to eat substantial food straight after the run to stabilize my blood sugars, seems to work.

I think Iain's right - get the right food down you as soon as possible afterwards. Other than that, is your long run meant to be at such a high intensity? Depending on what you're training for, your "long run" is generally at a slightly slower pace and should not therefore leave you feeling so exhausted - perhaps your pace is too high?

Aside from that, I find I go through cycles as my fitness improves as well - for a while I'll return from long runs feeling shattered for the rest of the day, but over a wee bit of time, notice that I'm no longer feeling like this.
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

I get this when I run with IainR
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Thanks for the advice guys. I do make sure I eat pretty much straight away after finishing running. Normally some chocolate or a sandwich and a protein shake. I was considering waiting 1 hour before eating anything to see what effect that would have. My long runs are generally low in pace I guess my body needs time to adapt fully to the distance and time spent running. Ta

Interesting, I find a long run of about 2 hours suppresses my appetite. Quite often I'll skip the next meal and wait till the evening. Doesn't stop me having a pint or two straight away, though.

Maybe it's the sort of food you're eating. What's a protein shake? It sounds rather sickly. Chocolate is principally sugar and cheap fat.

Alot of runners eat a banana after a run. Maybe try that approach.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 28-09-2010 at 08:18 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by lowden View Post
    Hi Lowden.
    Are you drinking enough?
    I used to feel rubbish until I used Nuuns hydration tablets in my water.

Tim

I've not heard of nuuns hydration tablets, I'll check them out, I do think I drink enough so maybe I'll get some of them to see their effect. Ta

The trick (for me at least) is to keep well fed before hand, a banana butty an hour or before I go out always seems to do the trick. I also recommend after when you get back if you can stomach it (funnily enough after a road run I can always eat but find it hard to after being up in the fells), again bananas are great! Make sure you keep properly hydrated as well of course.