that one of your 3 cats has brought in? At the moment, they seem to be bringing in one every 2/3 days, usually dead.

However, the oldest cat brought in a bird that was still alive when I was watching TV the other day and plonked it at my feet, very proud of her gift to me.

It couldn't fly and it looked like its leg and wing were broken and was in a pretty bad way. I took it outside and deliberated what to do with it - should I kill it, call the RSPCA etc.

I made the decision not to call the RSPCA because in all likelihood it was going to die anyway, so then I was left with a decision to either leave it in pain or put it out of its misery. On deciding the latter was probably the best action (the cats would have just caused it more pain) I then effectively stood on it as I thought this would be quickest and was immediately filled with guilt.

I think I did the right thing but probably not in the right way - I have to admit I found it really hard to do, but was wondering if anyone else had any experience of this, and what's the most humane method to use if this happens again?