Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Walsh Raids?

Walsh Raids?

There are a pair on E-bay; what are they like for trail running...anybody know?

Cheers - Raymond

Re: Walsh Raids?

Very shallow hexagonal studs with wavy bars , might be ok provided its not muddy

david

These seemed to disappear for a while and I've not had a pair for a number of years but back in the days when I used to travel a bit with work I always to have a pair in the car or suitcase. Decent enough grip for parks, grass, canal towpaths, footpaths etc but also fine for several miles on the road if I couldn't find anywhere off road to run.

Thumbs up Re: Walsh Raids?

I wore them on Wednesday at Dumyat & were OK uphill & down apart from being slippery on wet grass down through woods.

Regards,

Max.
    "Do as little as needed not as much as possible" - Henk Kraayenhof.

Never be afraid to take a profit.

Get in touch with ETA sports: they were at Rivington Pike race a few weeks ago with some cheap ones (£30) I think. I bought a pair for my son - £20 (I think). Wish I'd got myself some now. If they are still doing them for that price - give us a shout!
    Tao begets one. One begets two. Two begets all things.

Fellhound

I can't see any advantage over PB Trainers. The Raid is the same shoe but with a "trail" style sole. It actually has less cushioning than the PB Trainer because the studs of the latter actually provide a bit of cushioning (at least when new).

If you run in PBs then swap to Raids, it's amazing how hard they feel (compared to PBs???) yes, really.

Personally I would steer clear. Raids were developed at a time when very few, if any, trail shoes were around and it shows. They're really VERY hard on the feet. You're much better going with more modern technology for trail shoes - if they really are needed for trails (as opposed to moorland or fell) and make sure you get some with good forefoot cushioning.. Raids will kill your feet!

Quote Originally Posted by Trundler View Post
    I can't see any advantage over PB Trainers. The Raid is the same shoe but with a "trail" style sole. It actually has less cushioning than the PB Trainer because the studs of the latter actually provide a bit of cushioning (at least when new).

If you run in PBs then swap to Raids, it's amazing how hard they feel (compared to PBs???) yes, really.
    If your doing a run with scrambling and lots of rock in it they are great feel more secure than PBs but yes they do feel less cushioned and less grip on grass.
    To me they are a very specialized shoe for dry fells with lots of rock (not much use just now)

Bill

david

As always with shoes it's down to personal preference. I always found Raids to be quite comfortable and I certainly got far more mileage out of them than the "modern" trail shoes I've tried. Perhaps I've just been unlucky but I tried some Sauconys which had no grip at all, expanded to about twice their normal size when wet and disintegrated rapidly after just 3 weeks use and I've got some Asics which are ok for taking my old dog for a walk but far too wobbly and unstable for running on anything other than smooth tarmac.

Graeme

Quote Originally Posted by david View Post
    I tried some Sauconys which had no grip at all, expanded to about twice their normal size when wet and disintegrated rapidly after just 3 weeks use .
    Tell me about, my saucony's lasted about 100 miles, what a waste of money.