Page 11 of 76 FirstFirst ... 9101112132161 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's headtorcher

Re: Tonight's headtorcher

2 headtorch runs last week - 1 was Night Orienteering where I surpassed myself coming in 5th of 45 competitors and covering 5.7 miles in the allotted hour and finding 13 of the 20 controls; the 2nd run was last night on the North Downs: 6 miles / 1,200 ft.

I regulalrly use my Alpkit headtorch as it is indeed very cheap, but I could really do with something brigher especially for Night-O where looking for small controls in the middle of woods in the dark is of the essence.

On last night's run it was adequate on the hills but only because I know the route very well - otherwise I could easily have tripped up over tree-roots, etc

I've put the Silva Trail Runner headtorch on my xmas list, as it out outputs 80 lumens which is rather brighter
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by FarFromTheFells View Post
    I've put the Silva Trail Runner headtorch on my xmas list, as it out outputs 80 lumens which is rather brighter
    I've put the Lenser H7 on mine after IDP recommended it and then read and watched the many reviews on internet/youtube.

Super Moderator

Good run out tonight from Kildwick. Aunt Sally brought his dog, Galileo and swift showed us the mystic Dragon Stone
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Sorry I was a no-show, DT; the call of the beer in Skipton was too strong, so by 6.45pm me trying to keep up with you folks would have been an even less pretty sight than before!

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Sorry I was a no-show, DT; the call of the beer in Skipton was too strong, so by 6.45pm me trying to keep up with you folks would have been an even less pretty sight than before!
    Narrowboat p b?
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Amongst others! Red Lion, Royal Shepherd, Cock and Bottle, Woolly Sheep...
    a pleasant afternoon.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulE View Post
    I'm very impressed with my gamma - not the brightest, but more than enough for most running. I'd definitely recomend it as a budget option, and can't really see myself buying anything fancier to "upgrade" it with.
    I have a Gamma, and then recently bought a more expensive option for 'serious' headtorching, and I really wish I hadn't bothered - the Gamma has got it covered. Unless I was doing something like the HPM, I'd totally agree with you Paul. I also like the red light on the back, handy if you've got any remote unlit tarmac to traverse, like the top roads around Fulwood, Ringinglow, Hathersage etc, skipping from moor to moor.

My Lenser has been a let down. IDP likes his but I got a duff one I think, although somebody in my Wednesday night group has had the same problems with the H7 that I've had with the L7.

If I had to choose again I would go for one of the Silvas.
    Last edited by simgreen78; 26-11-2010 at 10:17 AM.
    Be Humble. Sit Down.

Two headtorchers this week. Regular run home from work on Tuesday completely uneventful except for a longer than usual wait at a level crossing and a lot of mud. Wednesday saw a 5.6 mile trail race during which I overtook another runner (twice!) who was wearing a lighthouse on his head compared with my own feeble lamp, as a consequence of which I was running into my own shadow for a bit, which was rather unnerving.

First bat run of the season this week. I had forgotten how much fun they are! Just waiting for the snow to arrive as night runs on the white stuff are even better.
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Two head torchers for me so far this week too. First one was a 5 mile hilly <insert a hawk and spit sound effect here> road run, albeit 100% using properly spooky unused country lanes, and the second was my more usual 4 mile run up in the hills.