Page 14 of 76 FirstFirst ... 412131415162464 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's headtorcher

Re: Tonight's headtorcher

Quote Originally Posted by plodding bear View Post
    Am I alone in not fancying a run in deep snow or summat? How do you NOT trip over hidden stones every 5 yards? I don't mind a light covering, but I was up on the moors today with the dogs, and I couldn't even see where the paths/tracks are. It's probably over a foot deep in most spots up there.
    That's the whole fun... night running in the snow is the best.

Typical! Where did you all go, and how deep was the snow? I managed a pretty humdrum seven-odd miles along the towpath tonight, but the snow along there is fairly compacted now so no danger of slidy-stumbling over hidden rocks every two feet...
    Not very hilly either, it has to be said. total ascent over seven miles, about two feet.

Typical! Where did you all go, and how deep was the snow? I managed a pretty humdrum seven-odd miles along the towpath tonight, but the snow along there is fairly compacted now so no danger of slidy-stumbling over hidden rocks every two feet...
    Not very hilly either, it has to be said. total ascent over seven miles, about two feet.
    well my pics abit of a cheat but I suspect it won't be too far off that. It's the start of the short crossing on Kinder where the deep sandy gully should be so snow depth is probably 6-8 ft. I took it last year after running from Snake summitt in a blizzard on a HPM recce, I just got to Edale when the weather broke as I started to make my way back in a reverse Tankys route. stunning day in the end, the descent from Seal stones was superb, like powder skiing without skis

Don't get me wrong, it's very pretty, I like being out walking the dogs and so on in it - I just don't see how you can get a decent RUN in in deep snow!

Super Moderator

Don't get me wrong, it's very pretty, I like being out walking the dogs and so on in it - I just don't see how you can get a decent RUN in in deep snow!
    Actually, RUNNING isn't really the point. Wading through knee deep snow is just good FUN
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Super Moderator

Quote Originally Posted by swift View Post

She said I was like a mad luminous spider woman trying to crawl through it and refusing to give it up.

Doesn't sound like me?
    Not much, it doesn't
    Poacher turned game-keeper

"No-headtorcher" last night through snow from my house. Headtorch sat on my head but never got switched on as visibility was almost daytime - amazing :thumbup:

Had a bit of trouble in places where snow was knee-deep and the odd drift up to 1 metre deep, but overall was a throughly enjoyable experience.

Made up in some small way for the utter carnage that the snow is inflicting on the south-east.
    Hills - good for the soul...
    http://honestsstories.blogspot.co.uk

Great headtorch / snow based run last night with the PFR crew around kinder reservoir.
    I say 'run'... it was more like swimming at some points.

Amazing night to be out in the hills.

Tim

Aah, thanx for clearing that up DT. And there's me (admittedly fairly new to all this) thinking that fell running was about RUNNING on the fells...
    ...well, I've been out in the snow again today, found some absolutely amazing wind/snow sculptures along the south side of a drystone wall, where the wind coming through the gaps has sculpted the snow as it fell, into weird wave-like formations, put me in mind of that guiness ad with all the white horses. It was thigh deep and more in places, no chance of running through it...

Aah, thanx for clearing that up DT. And there's me (admittedly fairly new to all this) thinking that fell running was about RUNNING on the fells...
    ...well, I've been out in the snow again today, found some absolutely amazing wind/snow sculptures along the south side of a drystone wall, where the wind coming through the gaps has sculpted the snow as it fell, into weird wave-like formations, put me in mind of that guiness ad with all the white horses. It was thigh deep and more in places, no chance of running through it...
    Time to drag out our Scot of the Antarctic expedition over Bleaklow last february. Drifts you say? Pah, mere fluffy cotton wool balls around your ankles compared to the fooking great whump of snow we 'ran' through that day