Page 60 of 76 FirstFirst ... 1050585960616270 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's headtorcher

Super Moderator

Re: Tonight's headtorcher

7 miles / 1800 feet last night on the Beacon with Stef. Fresh out with a cool NE wind and light flurries of snow :thumbup:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Super Moderator

Splendid end of season Fullmooner last nght. c 4miles / 900 feet with excellent Jura single malt and Cadburys chocolate fingers break half way round :thumbup:
    Poacher turned game-keeper

It's nay bloody far off is it
    pies

Quote Originally Posted by shaunaneto View Post
    It's nay bloody far off is it
    Had my first headtorcher of the 'autumn' last Wednesday but I always seem to set off late in the evening!

Our 3rd week of "Bat Running", for this autumn. Due to forestry / felling work on Beacon Fell, a contingent met up at Fell Foot. 4 of us ran the "Saddle Circle" - Wolfen Hall, Saddle End, Saddle Fell, "Highway in the Sky" across the top of Wolf Fell, Fairsnape Fell (1707 and Paddy's Pole), Blindhurst Saddle, FF. Above 1000 feet we were on a 1" - 2" carpet of crisp, frozen snow, under a starry, moonlit sky. Proper headtorching. Winter has arrived in it's best and truest guise.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

My first offroad headtorcher of the winter tonight. 8 miles 1500', just me and all those eerie glowing sheep's eyes in the dark
    No country for old men.

Yesterday evening myself & No.6 had a lovely 8 miler from the roadhead at Tarnbrook hamlet to the trig on Wolfhole Crag, beneath a full "advent moon". The very summit of the "crag" was lightly veiled by thin scudding cloud blowing over from the Brennand Valley into Roeburndale, otherwise a clear starlit sky with almost zero light pollution. On the lower descent, the solitary light at Gilberton Farm appeared to be cast adrift in the huge bowl of fells that constitute the head of the dale.
    The moonlit drive over the Trough to the Tillies in Chipping was magical, we just met one other car (near Hareden) and a well illuminated cyclist in Little Bowland.

Last Thursday's "feral 'torcher" saw 4 of us ascend P-y-G via Brackebottom and the S crags, returning to H-i-R via Horton Scar Lane; then refreshments at the Helwith Bridge Inn
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Pissing down on this side of the Pennines but love this kind of weather for a headtorcher. Get well wrapped up and off out for an hour and a half then back home for our lasses macaroni and cheese, happy days

Last night was a "triangular" from the Hill Inn at Chapel-le-Dale to Park Fell trig, along the wall to Simon Fell and back to the Inn. Blowing a hooley the whole evening; monsoon like below the cloud base and exceptionally claggy above. On Simon Fell, I met the two members of the early party who had been to the summit of Ingleburger and we descended together, retiring to the Station Inn at Ribblehead.
    I can't speak highly enough of the Paramo Velez AdventureLight Smock. I normally sweat like a pig but the technical vest that I was wearing ( my best silk lingerie ) beneath the Paramo was dry.

T'was lovely and a cracking route, if I say so myself.

I also took my two running girlfriends out with the torches last night and they were pleasantly impressed.

Here's to Hope keeping us from the depression thread this winter.