Page 71 of 76 FirstFirst ... 21616970717273 ... LastLast

Thread: Tonight's headtorcher

Could almost be K & C standards!!

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    11th pint? That's a hell of a post-run session!

Quote Originally Posted by gej View Post
    11th pint? That's a hell of a post-run session!
    No Brett, that's pre- run.

It's that time of year again. Last Tuesday's 18.15 bumble around Beacon Fell had us covering the last mile in the dark. Thankfully I had the BD Icon in my jacket pocket.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Super Moderator
    Always nice to get your first one of the season in
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master
    Been using the head torch in the mornings for quite a while now, it has been interesting in the horizontal rain and clag this week.
    Definitely more fun than spring /summer
    The older I get the Faster I was

Always a novelty this time of year - definitely loses its attraction by mid Jan though!

Talking of having to use a headtorch in the mornings, for the next week or so just reinforces why we shouldn't have BST all year round. For a significant part of the time from Nov to Feb, apart from a couple of weeks mid December, at least it is light on the run commute to work (obviosuly depending how early you have to get up!). If we had BST all year round as many seem to want, it may get dark at 5 rather than 4 (say), but as most people are working then anyway, surely its better to have a fighting chance of a run in the light in the morning?!

Super Moderator
    Half and halfer up the Beacon yesterday morning. Talk of similar tomorrow before work. Great time of year for running (imho obvs)
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Stumpy, looking at your profile, it was only 15 months or so after you were born that there was an experiment to maintain BST right through the winter ( pretty certain it was 69 / 70 ). I remember walking the 2 miles to work in the pitch black for an 08.00 start and IIRC it was still not proper dawn when ( as a 19 years-old apprentice ) I was sent out to buy the butties for the 09.00 brew.
    Being a bit 'old school' I'd be more interested in maintaining GMT ( 'proper time' that the British Empire was built on ) all year round. It's only a case of getting to bed early enough to be up early in the morning to make proper use of the available daylight. The introduction of BST was an establishment 'con' to get more production out of the masses during WW2.

Not to mention that up here in Bowland we probably have 10 to 15 minutes less light at each end of the day, during December & January, than you guys down in the Chilterns

Quote Originally Posted by stumpy View Post
    Always a novelty this time of year - definitely loses its attraction by mid Jan though!

Talking of having to use a headtorch in the mornings, for the next week or so just reinforces why we shouldn't have BST all year round. For a significant part of the time from Nov to Feb, apart from a couple of weeks mid December, at least it is light on the run commute to work (obviosuly depending how early you have to get up!). If we had BST all year round as many seem to want, it may get dark at 5 rather than 4 (say), but as most people are working then anyway, surely its better to have a fighting chance of a run in the light in the morning?!
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 15-10-2017 at 11:18 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Quote Originally Posted by wheezing donkey View Post
    Stumpy, looking at your profile, it was only 15 months or so after you were born that there was an experiment to maintain BST right through the winter ( pretty certain it was 69 / 70 ). I remember walking the 2 miles to work in the pitch black for an 08.00 start and IIRC it was still not proper dawn when ( as a 19 years-old apprentice ) I was sent out to buy the butties for the 09.00 brew.
    The experiment lasted for 3 winters, from October 1968. I was still at primary school, but remember waiting for the bus in the dark.

The clocks are now back on GMT and last night was our first proper head torch run.

There were 10 Bowlanders out 'batting' around and over Beacon Fell on the forest trails. As it is half-term and his football and swimming activities are suspended, my 7 years-old grandson came with me for a very gentle 3.5 miler that paid two visits to the trig, on a lovely clear, moonlit night.