Page 11 of 33 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Kinder Dozen

Re: Kinder Dozen

Do you have a grid reference for Crookstone Spring Ian? Could have done with it today!

grand day out around Kinder today, including a few bits of the Dozen that I'd never done before: dropping off Grindslow Knoll to the bottom of Crowden Clough then up to Crowden Tower was straightforward, and absolutlely loved the idea of going between Kinder Low trig and Sandy Heys trig via the Kinder stream crossing - that went well too: passing a couple of abandoned millstones on the way down near Cluther Rocks, and taking in an icy Mermaid's Pool on the way up

think I'll be seeing a lot of Kinder over the next few months (BG training), so will deffo recce all the Dozen "bobs" - who knows, might even do the whole thing at some point...
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Master

DTS

I was out there on saturday doing some of the "bobs". I did Nether Moor, Druids Stone, Ringing Roger and Grindslow Knoll. For me the worst of all of the dozen ascents is that to the Druids Stone from the YHA. its invariably saturated and boggy and genrally not that pleasant. After that most of the ascents and descents are actually quite pleasant and I think my favourite descent is down from Druids Stone and the descent from crowden tower to the foot of Jacobs ladder. I've never done the whole dozen, eight is my best so might put that on the list for next year.

I think I'll try a Kinder half dozen around Christmas time and build up from there.

Whats the total climbing for the whole dozen ?

Decided to stop being lazy and look at the thread and I see its around 10,000 ft. I think I would quite possibly die if i did the whole dozen.

Quote Originally Posted by Will.Race View Post
    I think I'll try a Kinder half dozen around Christmas time and build up from there.

Whats the total climbing for the whole dozen ?

Decided to stop being lazy and look at the thread and I see its around 10,000 ft. I think I would quite possibly die if i did the whole dozen.

It's all down to the pace you do it. Walk the climbs ala BG pace and jog the rest, 8-9 hours should be within a BG contenders pace, 10 would be an a easy pace.

Right weather and right conditions I reckon a sub 7 is possible, my best so far 7.10ish

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    It's all down to the pace you do it. Walk the climbs ala BG pace and jog the rest, 8-9 hours should be within a BG contenders pace, 10 would be an a easy pace.

Right weather and right conditions I reckon a sub 7 is possible, my best so far 7.10ish
    Motivating myself to keep going would be my problem. I'll try for 6 or 7 climbs initially and then see if anyone else wants to try the dozen next year sometime.

Quote Originally Posted by Corniceman View Post
    DTS

I was out there on saturday doing some of the "bobs". I did Nether Moor, Druids Stone, Ringing Roger and Grindslow Knoll. For me the worst of all of the dozen ascents is that to the Druids Stone from the YHA. its invariably saturated and boggy and genrally not that pleasant. After that most of the ascents and descents are actually quite pleasant and I think my favourite descent is down from Druids Stone and the descent from crowden tower to the foot of Jacobs ladder. I've never done the whole dozen, eight is my best so might put that on the list for next year.
    I enjoyed Crowden Tower to Youngate Bridge too
    best descent (not on Dozen) was the last one I did, from the pointy bit just to the west of Sandy Heys down to the bottom of William Clough - very fast! :thumbup:

Will
    - Kinder Killer is 7 - and more in the way of paths rather than open hillside - there's a thread for it here: http://forum.fellrunner.org.uk/showt...=kinder+killer
    I think it's bit less than 33M btw
    Last edited by DazTheSlug; 13-12-2010 at 06:41 PM.
    Scramble the rock face through the glare of morning sun — to run

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post

Ian do you know the fastest time. I'm wondering what's possible if you had a pacer or two.

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Ian do you know the fastest time. I'm wondering what's possible if you had a pacer or two.
    I think Geoff did it 6.30, I'm sure some one could beat that but it would take a pretty sustained effort.

Super Moderator

OP was from Geoff

Quote Originally Posted by GeoffB View Post
    Had a crack at this as a warm up for next week's OCT. It's a superb route (for those who don't know, it's a circuit of Kinder starting & finishing at Edale with 12 different ascents/descents of Kinder as you go round - 24 miles & 10,000ft) but certainly not recommended for weak ankles. You spend most of the time away from the main paths, with plenty of rough, tussocky terrain.

I'd set myself a target of 6 hours, so was pretty pleased to get round in 5hr 45mins. Bumped into Matt Hulley (Dark Peak) just as I was finishing, but apart from that saw very few people.

I carried no water at all, as I (correctly) assumed there would be plenty of water in all the streams. The weather was pretty good; a bit of mist on the tops early on (I set off at 8am), and a few short, sharp showers (including hail on Ringing Roger), but never cold & not too warm.

A most enjoyable day out!