Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Nausea = Ive packed in running

Re: Nausea = Ive packed in run

I have crohns disease and it can be a serious pain to live with, but the upside is that when under control it doesn't affect my running at all. Mine came on when I was a teenager and took ages to be diagnosed so stick with it and make sure you don't let your gp fob you off (mine did and it caused more problems than if they had dealt with it sooner). Remember as well that you are entitled to time off for medical appointments by law so there's nothing your boss can do about it.

Al I really feel for you. You haven't give up - you are just trying to find an answer that will work.
    Don't stop searching there will be an answer of sorts somewhere.

Remember me trying to run the fell relay with you and whinging about my hip and lack of power etc etc... I tried all sorts to find out what it was and a cure. In the meantime I have sort of found some way of a solution- give u the XC and short races and concentrate on the Ultras. It's not a perfect answer and the problem is still there but I have had a great exploring this alternative.
    I have in the last months also tried to piece together everything I have been told, had suggested to me over the last 3 years. I have started doing some of the exercises again and am determined to try to sort it out - not to give up the ultras necessarily but to have other options open. I think basically it is posture/stance/bad back and so weak buttocks etc etc. Perhaps I just need to work harder on sorting this out rather than expecting someone to cure it for me.

Long way of saying- hang in there. It may take time. You do seem to be working some hard hours and that must be taking it's toll.Stop racing and test what you can do. (BTW I go to the loo loads BEFORE I run- think it is sort of nerves but my body seems happier to run empty!
    Hope to see you around soon.

Al, running and your current job are relatively minor things next to your overall health. Find out what's wrong and go from there. Pay if you have to - it's often worth it even only to get things moving more quickly.

Good luck.

Al, just in case you need to hear it again
    GET YERSELF TO THE DOCTORS!!!

A mate from my running club had some really severe problems. It started off just having issues during/after running but on occasion its got to the stage where he's had to take time off work cos he couldn't sit at his desk any amount of time without the risk of a toxic waste spillage on the scale of Hungary.
    At one stage he ended up really ill in hospital and they still couldn't suss out what was going on.
    After much prodding and poking and shoving cameras where the sun don't shine he was diagnosed with er... somethingorotherthatIcantrememberthename!

From what I understand he's got a hyperactive immune system which makes him produce too much stomach acid

Anyway, seems like its mostly well controlled - a combination of meds and cutting certain foods out of his diet. He's back to training and beating us all in races. He still has go through the camera routine every few months as with his condition he's got a much higher risk of contracting something worse.

Not saying any of this to scare you or suggest you've got the same problem - could be one of any number of causes, but the point is he's only managed to get sorted after a long process and being really persistent with doctors to get a proper diagnosis (and not without giving up on running all together a few times). You may need to be prepared to do the same but in the long run a few doctors appointments are well worth the agro and may well save you sick days further down the line.

And just to repeat previous posts, there's absolutely no reason why you should have to use holiday for a doctor's appointment. It might be worth checking with your HR people what the company policy is before you go to your boss as he'll have to go by that. At worse you'll have to take a 1/2 day unpaid. If its your Sainsbury's boss let me know cos I've got friends in high places who would be more than happy to sort 'im out! :sneaky:

Quote Originally Posted by Shazza View Post
    Al, just in case you need to hear it again
    GET YERSELF TO THE DOCTORS!!!

A mate from my running club had some really severe problems. It started off just having issues during/after running but on occasion its got to the stage where he's had to take time off work cos he couldn't sit at his desk any amount of time without the risk of a toxic waste spillage on the scale of Hungary.
    At one stage he ended up really ill in hospital and they still couldn't suss out what was going on.
    After much prodding and poking and shoving cameras where the sun don't shine he was diagnosed with er... somethingorotherthatIcantrememberthename!

From what I understand he's got a hyperactive immune system which makes him produce too much stomach acid

Anyway, seems like its mostly well controlled - a combination of meds and cutting certain foods out of his diet. He's back to training and beating us all in races. He still has go through the camera routine every few months as with his condition he's got a much higher risk of contracting something worse.

Not saying any of this to scare you or suggest you've got the same problem - could be one of any number of causes, but the point is he's only managed to get sorted after a long process and being really persistent with doctors to get a proper diagnosis (and not without giving up on running all together a few times). You may need to be prepared to do the same but in the long run a few doctors appointments are well worth the agro and may well save you sick days further down the line.

And just to repeat previous posts, there's absolutely no reason why you should have to use holiday for a doctor's appointment. It might be worth checking with your HR people what the company policy is before you go to your boss as he'll have to go by that. At worse you'll have to take a 1/2 day unpaid. If its your Sainsbury's boss let me know cos I've got friends in high places who would be more than happy to sort 'im out! :sneaky:
    Cheers!

I think out the computer system I there is an office rules section, and I think sickness/day off/appointments is covered in there....So i'll have a read and paste it on here if needs be.
    Its not the sainsburys thats getting in the way of going to the doctors as I only do 6pm-10pm shifts there. But we (everybody who works at the store) seriously dislikes our new manager - can we arrange for him to be 'taken out'?

Thanks alot Karen, thug and not-so-grump!

Quote Originally Posted by noel View Post
    Al, running and your current job are relatively minor things next to your overall health. Find out what's wrong and go from there. Pay if you have to - it's often worth it even only to get things moving more quickly.

Good luck.
    I couldn't agree more. Al I'm afraid I can't offer anything in the way of solutions, but felt compelled to say something. I think the least you can do is impress on your boss and GP how inportant it is to you to get this problem solved. But whatever happens don't give up hope and don't give up on your dreams and aspirations, hang in there and keep searching and the answers will come.
    Do what you like, like what you do

dude, stop messing around and get to the doc's again!!! (and if you feel he's fobbing you off...get a second opinion from another doctor! dont stop until you have get all the answers).

there's nothing more important than your health! (it's all we've got)!

hope everything goes well ;-)

Al I have seen enough of your old training plans and race results to know that all of the above goals that you mentioned are achievable. If you believe this too then you should take the advice given on this forum re professional help. Now I know that no one on here really understands your situation at work but mate its alot bigger than 1 days holiday/throwing a sickie, and getting sorted. Surely if things escalate and you do nothing then you could be looking at more than 1 day off. SEEFTON post is sound.

Hey, you never know, you may have a solution in time for XOTF
    The Journey of 1000 miles starts with a single step

Master and MR

Al I really feel for you mate. It made my day when you ran away from me on cat bells. Don't give up and go back to the doctors. If you get no joy stand your ground and demand to see a consultant.
    Your health is more important than any fell race mate.
    I'm sure it will get sorted and you will get back

Hi Al

Just hought I should share the story of a friend of ours.

She had real trouble with food allergies - which got worse and worse and wider ranging until there were only a one or two things she could eat and drink.
    Then after a couple of years of marriage her husband, completely out of the blue, up and walked out on her, revealing he had been having an affair for about two years (nothing to do with her ailments I should point out).
    Very quickly the food alergies disappeared, her life perked up and she became the happy bouncy person she'd always been.

Head and guts are strangely and intimately linked - your head can really affect your guts and do so through deeply subconscious channels.
    She thought she was happily married to the right man but deep down somewhere in her subconscious it was the wrong thing for her - she didn't know it but somewhere her mind did and it expressed its discomfort through her guts. When the man went away the problem went away.

So what ?
    Is there something in your life that is not right for you, even though you think it is?
    did something change around the time this all began ?
    Trouble started last September - is that when you started Uni ?

As otehrs have said - keep going with the doctors
    but look at the stress side too.

all the best