Thread: Clwydian Hills - Recce

Clwydian Hills - Recce

a few from the Merseyside/Lancs area are thinking of doing a reccie of Clwydian Hills tomorrow (16th Oct) morning - anyone have any information...maps..start and end points etc? Best place to park ?

thanks in anticipation..anyone welcome if they want to come along

Dylan

Re: Clwydian Hills - Recce

Quote Originally Posted by DylanWales View Post
    a few from the Merseyside/Lancs area are thinking of doing a reccie of Clwydian Hills tomorrow (16th Oct) morning - anyone have any information...maps..start and end points etc? Best place to park ?

thanks in anticipation..anyone welcome if they want to come along

Dylan
    I did it last year but because of the weather they shortened the course missing out Moel Famau and the whole Southern section. I parked close to the village hall in the street in Cilcain and its about a 750m walk to the start (start and end are roughly the same place).

This map has my Garmin Track in RED from the short course. The BLUE route is the long course as I understood it to be so you definitely want some corroboration on that (especially the route out to Moel Famau) I seem to remember Swoop was a bit of a route expert on this last year as he had done some recces? Not sure either if it switches between clockwise/anticlockwise each year ?
    No country for old men.

Out of date info here: http://www.newsar.org.uk/pages/fellr...anfellrace.htm
    After last year's race the organiser hinted it would be the new route this year (Odd Year).
    I emailed him a while ago asking which route it would be but have had no reply.
    The Even Year route has been run for quite a while and most people will go the same way as each other.
    The Odd Year route hasn't been run yet and there will be quite a few variations I expect.
    I know which trods I would take!

Thanks Alf/Swoop - looks like I'll take a gamble on the "Odd Route" then!

Much of this route coincides with my regular training run. There were more than the usual smattering of studmarks left by the local fellrunners on the route today - saw mudroc prints, mudclaw marks and a set of lesser spotted Walsh trails too. Great day for it today on Famau

Senior Member Usually at the back's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Swoop View Post
    Out of date info here: http://www.newsar.org.uk/pages/fellr...anfellrace.htm
    After last year's race the organiser hinted it would be the new route this year (Odd Year).
    I emailed him a while ago asking which route it would be but have had no reply.
    The Even Year route has been run for quite a while and most people will go the same way as each other.
    The Odd Year route hasn't been run yet and there will be quite a few variations I expect.
    I know which trods I would take!
    does anyone know yet if it will be the 'odd' year route or 'even' year route - or do I need to recce both?