Thread: New to fell running

New to fell running

Hi,

I'm pretty new to fell running, although I've done loads of long distance walks and am a reasonable (but slow!) road runner, up to around 10 miles. I'm a bored with road running, have suffered a few ankle injuries and really want to be able to run at least parts of some of the long distance (40+ miles) walks I do.

I've only started in the last couple of weeks and I've come across this forum. Has anyone got any advice on how I can improve and what exactly I need to do to be able to run some of these longer-distance walks?

Any advice appreciated!

Super Moderator

Re: New to fell running

Quote Originally Posted by demloon View Post
    Hi,

I'm pretty new to fell running, although I've done loads of long distance walks and am a reasonable (but slow!) road runner, up to around 10 miles. I'm a bored with road running, have suffered a few ankle injuries and really want to be able to run at least parts of some of the long distance (40+ miles) walks I do.

I've only started in the last couple of weeks and I've come across this forum. Has anyone got any advice on how I can improve and what exactly I need to do to be able to run some of these longer-distance walks?

Any advice appreciated!
    Welcome to the forum demloon

I'd suggest the time honoured tactic of walking the ups, jogging the flat and running down the hills to start with. Build up your mileage slowly so as to avoid overuse injuries and you'll be fine

There's loads of advice in the Training section
    Poacher turned game-keeper

Master and MR

Quote Originally Posted by Derby Tup View Post
    Welcome to the forum demloon

I'd suggest the time honoured tactic of walking the ups, jogging the flat and running down the hills to start with. Build up your mileage slowly so as to avoid overuse injuries and you'll be fine

There's loads of advice in the Training section
    Forget training, just eat plenty of salmon and feta

Sounds like we come from a similar background. i agree with DTs comments. that strategy has served me well.

for me it basically boiled down to doing what felt natural- for a while. then you have to start pushing yourself to do the runnable ups, before you know whats happened the routes that were a 7 hr yomp are taking 2.5hr AND you have had a much better time!

just take it easy to begin with and don't think you have to 'Fell RUN' all of it
    Adam Speed
    P&B

Stick with it demloon and don't be downhearted if you find it tough at first.

I've only started running properly on the fells recently and its way harder than the roads but so much more enjoyable.

I agree with Daz H. Eat lots (before, during, and after the run).

The main transition for me was realising that its definitely not possible to run all of your typical fell run. Take it nice and slowly at first and remember you're going to be a lot slower than on the road!

Thanks for all the positive comments. I particularly like the more eating business!! I ran up a nice, steep hill near where I live and prompty pulled an abdominal muscle!! Oh well, one more week and I'm back to running.

Cheers everyone.