Page 11 of 55 FirstFirst ... 91011121321 ... LastLast

Thread: Tour de Helvellyn

Master

Re: Tour de Helvellyn

Quote Originally Posted by Hank View Post
    The climb up to Grisedale Tarn from Dunmail would be interesting under snow and ice.
    If there's enough snow and ice for climbing (I wish), then there'll be a well worn trail

Recced the loop from Patterdale today... I make it pretty much 28k with about 1100m climb, making 60k and about 2000m for the whole thing. The climb up to Grisedale Tarn from Dunmail would be interesting under snow and ice.
    It was. I'm hoping for more of the same again so I can wear the Kahtoolas I bought last winter, just as the thaw set in. Never worn them yet.

Grisedale Tarn.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    It was. I'm hoping for more of the same again so I can wear the Kahtoolas I bought last winter, just as the thaw set in. Never worn them yet.

Grisedale Tarn.
    Well I'm hoping for 12 inches of snow & no ice. Because I've not got any Kahtoolas.
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Any updates on this? I mailed Nav4 a week ago to double check it's going ahead as it clashes with other things, as yet i've had no response.

Cheers, Ken

Master

Quote Originally Posted by Nee Bother View Post
    Any updates on this? I mailed Nav4 a week ago to double check it's going ahead as it clashes with other things, as yet i've had no response.

Cheers, Ken
    Same here. I guess we'll hear when there's news!

....me too! I'd just like to know if I'm considered experienced enough for a start!

Great pics! I hope it looks like that this year (also hoping that it happens this year).

Great pics! I hope it looks like that this year (also hoping that it happens this year).
    Looked a wee bit on the cold side for me :w00t:

It was Nee Bother but I was toasty warm. It was minus 10 at the finish. My Coke and water in my two bottles first turned to slush then froze completely. I was without liquid for the last couple of hours but it didn't really matter as I'd been hydrating all day. They took hours to thaw out again in my B&B room. When I took a shower the water backed up and nearly overflowed the shower tray because it froze in the waste pipe and blocked it. It was cold alright.
    Last edited by BritNick; 24-10-2011 at 12:57 PM. Reason: Spelling mistake

Re: TdeH - NAV4 Joe Speaks!

Hello,

We intend to stage TdeH on Saturday 17th December. I have been watching this thread with interest so perhaps the following will be of use to Forumitees?

It is a low-key event, but we need full permissions; naturally, the authorities (and me!) are very concerned about the safety of this event, and the appropriateness of the participants. However, I'm also committed to providing a challenge for those who want it, and can cope with it, at that time of year.

If you are considering this, think very carefully; can you navigate on your own, in poor conditions. Can you actually cope with running 38 miles in winter conditions, without support? Can you average 3.5mph on that terrain? There is no mass start - window start - and with only 75 places available then following someone else is not an option. Do you have the necessary gear, will you carry it?

In terms of experience - you need evidence of long remote navigation mountain challenges. This means 10x London Marathons won't do, nor Three Peaks in 3:30, or Lakes 50 in 18hours, sorry. We need experience in depth...

Try this - answer six 'Yes' and your suitable:

1) I have completed an 'Ultra' of more than 40 miles and/or event of at least eight hours in duration.
    2) I am competent with a map and compass and will not get lost, even if the weather is very poor.
    3) I have previously successfully completed navigation events in wild mountainous terrain.
    4) I understand the nature of the route (unmarked) and terrain (wild and wintery, whatever that means!) and I am confident of finishing within 12hours.
    5) I am well aware of the amount of clothing, gear, and food needed for such a day out and never skimp on the organiser's kit list (which will be fair but realistic)
    6) I'm competent to look after myself in harsh terrain, and I'll enjoy a pint at The Queens afterwards, once I'll had copious tea and soup.

If that all sounds fair then you're suitably qualified. Entry details, and applications, will be available soon.

Joe Faulkner
    TdeH NAV4 Organgrinder