Page 54 of 55 FirstFirst ... 44452535455 LastLast

Thread: Tour de Helvellyn

Great write-up, Splatcher. Stand by for the photos. I spent yesterday evening culling, cropping and tweaking them to leave something under 200 left. Tonight I'll name and number them, do a batch shrink operation then upload to flickr.

This year gave easily the best conditions of the five so far, even with the usual gale over Sticks Pass and on the descent to Stanah. I was surprised how dry the ground was compared to previous (unfrozen) years. There was no excess water flow down any path that I recall. I expect that changed from Sunday onwards though. We were very lucky.

Great write-up indeed splatcher, but i do believe we were joint leaders when we left side farm at 930! I have to say the 10 minute wait at side farm was like a monty python sketch.

Thanks to Joe and team for another great race. My second TdH. It's a great route and a really well organised event.

Jules.

Second place in your second TdH! Nice one Jules. The rest of your HPM team are getting worried now!!

Well I'm ashamed to say I was the first to arrive at Side Farm after taking it a bit slowly from Martindale (yeah I know, too fit for my own good ). The bonus was scattering the deer on the ascent of Boredale - just me and the deer - magical. To add to the guilt of my early arrival at Side Farm, the door was shut. I opened it to herald the onslaught a minute or two later. Many thanks to the accommodating marshals for allowing us to hang around inside and wait out the shower until 09:30. I was a bit late leaving because of the dibbing queue!

Many thanks also to Joe and all the helpers for making this event better every year. It's an absolute belter. I am indebted to theNoor for bringing the inaugural one to my attention back in 2010. I am an addicted convert and I'll be back in 2015 for the 6th.

I finally got around to uploading the 'best' of the photos I took.

Necroing
    Action to dig up a dead thread in a forum.

————————

hope folks don’t mind me resurecting this old thread but seems to me with the date creeping up on us for the 2017edition there might be folks who wanna have a good natter about TdH...

so what do folks think.. are we gonna have a white race this year?

Hoping my feet mend themselves enough for me to start. Last year after a month in Nepal at altitude I knocked an hour off my time. Was hoping for the same effect this year but right foot still suffering badly from frost nip so will have to wait and see......

Dan Milton

Looks fantastic (again). A bit of a twin race to the Lakes Mountain 42 which is perhaps my favourite long race, and the conditions on the TdeH always look challenging. It's definitely down on my list for 2018...

Nice photo; the conditions could not have been more perfect the year before, which contributed to a course record being set.