Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Today's woodburning stove

Re: Today's woodburning stove

Quote Originally Posted by Ady In Accy View Post
    A winter treat awaits you!
    Can't beat it when it's free carbon neutral heat.
    Yes, exactly. I really enjoy the whole process, from the collecting to the chopping to the burning!

I had an open fire before, but I'm looking forward to the efficiency of the stove.

Master and MR

Well last night I got back from my run and just tweaked the central heating a bit. Sorry but Ive not the time to get into all that woodstove burning.
    I dont know how I would find time to start going out sawing up wood. ?

Wish I had a wood burning stove here at work to put my feet in front of. 2 pairs of socks today and still my feet are like blocks of ice

Quote Originally Posted by daz h View Post
    Well last night I got back from my run and just tweaked the central heating a bit. Sorry but Ive not the time to get into all that woodstove burning.
    I dont know how I would find time to start going out sawing up wood. ?
    a man of your means could buy it ready cut.

and don't they use wood on building sites, plenty of free wood there.:w00t:

I bought some chesnuts from the local green grocers yesterday, they be getting roasted tonight.:thumbup:

Daz h, I would give you "the wood man"'s number - brings it ready cut, and seasoned (is that the right word for when it has been dried out?)

Love the woodburner, would never be without one. In fact we don't have any central heating or other heating in the house (save one electric storage heater to leave on when we go away). Alight every night now, a few logs on and thats it for the evening - a lovely warm glow.
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Quote Originally Posted by IanDarkpeak View Post
    I love coming down in the mornings to a really warm room as it's been on low burn all night.
    Have you had your chimney checked? At the cottage in N. Stainmore my gran and grandad used to leave the Parkray on slow burn overnight which as you may already know causes incomplete combustion resulting in excess production of CO (Carbon Monoxide). One night the flue leaked in the loft, my gran woke up in Carlisle hospital many hours later but my grandad fortunately got up to go to the loo and managed to shout my uncle in the next bedroom as he crashed to the floor and was knocked out by the door on his way down. My uncle had to run cross country (he was a keen HM runner) to the nearest house to raise the alarm as we didn't have a phone line in those days, not even mains water.

Everyone was ok in the end but if my grandad hadn't got up to take a leak they'd have suffocated as they slept, the incident was blamed for weakening grandad's heart and he died of a heart attack a few years later. It's probably little known but anyone using a stove on slow burn needs to be cock sure of the integrity of their flue, sorry for lowering the tone but i thought it was worth mentioning .
    Last edited by mr brightside; 19-10-2010 at 10:33 PM.
    Luke Appleyard (Wharfedale)- quick on the dissent

Quote Originally Posted by mr brightside View Post
    Have you had your chimney checked? At the cottage in N. Stainmore my gran and grandad used to leave the Parkray on slow burn overnight which as you may already know causes incomplete combustion resulting in excess production of CO (Carbon Monoxide). One night the flue leaked in the loft, my gran woke up in Carlisle hospital many hours later but my grandad fortunately got up to go to the loo and managed to shout my uncle in the next bedroom as he crashed to the floor and was knocked out by the door on his way down. My uncle had to run cross country (he was a keen HM runner) to the nearest house to raise the alarm as we didn't have a phone line in those days, not even mains water.

Everyone was ok in the end but if my grandad hadn't got up to take a leak they'd have suffocated as they slept, the incident was blamed for weakening grandad's heart and he died of a heart attack a few years later. It's probably little known but anyone using a stove on slow burn needs to be cock sure of the integrity of their flue, sorry for lowering the tone but i thought it was worth mentioning .
    Interesting! Our flue should be ok, It's pot lined and cemented in. We did have it checked last year before having the stove fitted and it got the all clear. we've also extra ventilation in the room.

What was worrying was after we had decided to go a head with the fitting, We got a gas man to come and remove the old stove and he was stunned at the crass ineptitude of the person who fit the gas fire. He would have turned the gas off he said and condemed it. No venting had been fitted and there were CO3 marks all around the fire!!!. Luckily we hardly ever used it. But it is a salient lesson.

Will take a piccy this week and we can have some 'stoves in action' shots..........................

Numb hands running last night, scraping ice off the windscreen of my car this morning... Looks like the wood burner might be taking its maiden voyage imminently