Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Deer oh Deer !

In a few minutes of browsing/grazing, Red deer have undone a couple of years worth of planting, eating the growing/flowering tips or uprooting the newer plants. But they are still impressive to observe.........wonder if I'll see any on my way to the nursery for more plants?!
    A circular route mostly downhill

A deer jumped over the wall into a friends son who was out on his bike. He hit the deer and ended up in hospital.
    A deer was spooked by the Rombalds stride runners one year just near the start. Charged and hit a runner who had to be airlifted to hospital.

Just a couple of 'scrapes' with red deer stags over the years.
    Some 40 years ago, driving the Land Drover down the 'quiet side' of the River Lune between Rigmaden and Kearstwick a stag jumped onto the road directly in front of me. If I'd accelerated, instead of instinctively braking, we'd have dined off venison for a few weeks. Having galloped down the road in front of the L/R for a couple of hundred yards, it leapt sideways and cleared a 4 foot high thorn hedge at the top of a 4 foot high banking in one bound without breaking stride.
    Around 7 years ago whilst out from his house with a friend from Shap, we were descending from Wasdale Pike towards the top of the Wet Sleddale reservoir; running over a crest and into a wide, shallow re-entrant we found ourselves face to face with a stag that was pawing the ground and snorting at us with his antlers lowered into an 'attack' position. Glancing to my rear right, I spotted a hind. I suggested to Steve that we stepped backwards whilst continuing to give the stag a "strong eye". After we'd taken 10 or 12 paces, the hind ran across in front of us to join the stag and the pair of them trotted away.
    Last edited by wheezing donkey; 15-02-2017 at 10:55 PM.
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    These unfortunate encounters between deer and vehicles wouldn't happen if the deer were as well-behaved as some I saw on the one occasion that I have visited the USA. It was in Washington state, where I had hired a bicycle and was cycling along a minor road through a wooded area. A hind came out of the forest with her fawn; they stopped at the side of the road to look for traffic, waited until I had gone past, and then crossed the road. So nice to see Mummy teaching her child how to cross the road safely!

A couple of years ago as I neared the end of The Hebden challenge event and was climbing a steep, wooded rocky hillside, I heard a crashing in the undergrowth above to my right, then a deer careered downhill just in front of me. It's the only one I've ever seen around those parts. They're scary at speed.

Quote Originally Posted by BritNick View Post
    They're scary at speed.
    As, I imagine, are you!

"...as dry as the Atacama desert".

My best one was alongside Loch Sween - a Roe deer emerged from the side and set off on the road in front of me and stayed there at about 30kph for around 800metres. I was riding my bike, I must add, not running! Must see if Paul still has the GoPro footage on his lap top..............
    A circular route mostly downhill

Quote Originally Posted by Graham Breeze View Post
    As, I imagine, are you!

Thanks for the compliment, Graham.

I wonder if this is the only forum topic to have jumped from 2007 to 2017?

most surprising was 2 red deer on Bleaklow...