Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Today's Walk

Quote Originally Posted by MattPo View Post
    A Lovely walk today up Calf Top from Barbon - The most westerly of the Yorkshire Dales NP hills and venue for a fierce short fell race (that I have not done). Saw no one, but loads of skylarks and frogspawn. Bit Hazy for views of the lakes, but local hills looking good.
    This was the last one of the Yorkshire Dales 2000ft hills for me, on a list of 41 that I used. Run, walked and raced up them over 35 years. Slept on top of three of them. Most are good, but there is the odd pimple in the bog one. Any one been up Water Crag?
    Yes.

On the 23rd October 1983 along with Rogan's Seat whilst ticking Bridges Tables.

Nearly 40 years on I cannot remember a single thing about it. Perhaps time for a revisit!
    Visibility good except in Hill Fog

Why have I only just stumbled across this thread? It's made for me
    Currently stuck with a couple of 5km runs a week, a but of indoor bike and some walking at weekends.
    This weekends long one was a belter and I look forward to being able to run it later this year.
    For out 34th wedding anniversary we stayed the night in Delph Lane Car Park, just above Calder Vale, not far from Bleasdale.
    WE started with a late afternoon walk around Calder Vale. A lovely little village,
    Then the longer walk is best described as the Fiendsdale Horseshoe.
    From the car park, to Stang Yule, then up the track to Hazelhurst Fell, Fiendsdale Head and Fair Snape. Down to Higher Fair Snape Farm and around the public footpaths to Bleasdale Tower High Moor and that was it.
    It was heaven.
    Such a beautiful morning, so peaceful apart from the birds, and not a person in sight until Paddy's Pole where we saw two walkers.
    I think I saw more hares over the weekend that in my previous 57 years.

If any of you have a camper or small motorhome, it's a belting spot for a quiet overnight and a morning on the Bowland fells. Probably room for two overnight.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    One thing I have learned over many years of campervanning is not to broadcast the quiet sleepy spots you find otherwise the next time you head for one you will find it no longer exists.

If any of you have a camper or small motorhome, it's a belting spot for a quiet overnight and a morning on the Bowland fells. Probably room for two overnight.[/QUOTE]
    Last edited by JohnK; 27-03-2022 at 08:59 PM.
    The older I get the Faster I was

Quote Originally Posted by JohnK View Post
    One thing I have learned over many years of campervanning is not to broadcast the quiet sleepy spots you find otherwise the next time you head for one you will find it no longer exists.

If any of you have a camper or small motorhome, it's a belting spot for a quiet overnight and a morning on the Bowland fells. Probably room for two overnight.
    Well as it's listed on Search for Sites which has over 200k subscribers, I doubt it will get swamped by a mention here
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    A walk out of the concrete jungle of Toa Payoh, and up Mount Pleasant Road: past the Singapore Polo Club (where they play hockey on horseback, not where they eat a mint with a hole), up the hill past driveways leading to presumably rather grand houses (hidden from sight by trees), and then down the other side of the hill, where the surroundings take on a much wilder feel: secondary tropical rain forest (there's no primary forest left in Singapore).

Reaching the end of the road, I turn back, and notice a sign where a track leads away from the road. The sign is in Chinese, except for the words "Undertaker and Monumental Mason". I follow the track, and soon start noticing overgrown graves on both sides of it. In some places the vegetation has been trimmed, and the inscriptions on many of the gravestones are still in good condition. I have gone a fair distance before I see a sign warning: "Caution: you are within a closed cemetery". What I have stumbled on is Mount Pleasant Cemetery: https://cavinteo.blogspot.com/2012/0...-cemetery.html . It is the sort of place that would scare the wits out of my wife (she was out playing tennis), and I have to admit that I had the occasional tingle.

The return route to Toa Payoh is via Gymkhana Road, where there is a large complex of stables and facilities for horsey activities. Several ang mo girls are seen riding and jumping hurdles. [Ang mo, literally "red hair" is a reasonably polite designation of Caucasians used by the Chinese-speaking community here. We do all have red hair, don't we?]
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Just back from walking the Anglesey Coast Path/Llwybr Arfordrol Ynys Mon. Six days to cover 130ish miles, so some long days which was a bit of a shock to the legs - but they coped.
    I thought I knew Anglesey well but it was a revelation. Superb scenery, flowers and birds. First Orchids of the year, a Merlin, Goshawk, Peregrine, three types of Tern and much more. Fine weather helped and kept the rucksack light by staying in B & B's.

Master
    Beacon Hill, Copt Oak, Timberwood Hill, Lubcloud: it's a route that I used to be able to run, about 14 miles with over 2000 feet of ascent. I suppose walking it in 4 hours and 5 minutes isn't too bad. I hadn't originally intended to go so far, so didn't bring any water with me, but didn't feel too dehydrated; the sunshine was bright, but it wasn't too hot.
    Jorge Luis Borges

I couldn't go 4hrs working at my laptop without water.... let alone walking on a warm day!

Master
    Having arrived at the top of Beacon Hill and decided to go further, I did actually go down to the public toilets in the car park, and took a drink from the washbasin tap; but that still left me with more than 3 hours of walking without water.
    Jorge Luis Borges