Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today's Walk

Re: Todays Walk

Quote Originally Posted by Alexandra View Post
    How about parking up at Storiths? I may be out of date, but there used to be a few free parking places, and Buffers used to be the cheapest and nicest cafe in the area.
    Storiths parking area has been reduced in the past year with some new low level fencing erected - still room for up to 6 cars though, as there is also at a small parking area just off the Embsay road before you get to Barden Tower, though as you say Rob not great for when you have a toddler with you.

There are several parking places on the other-side of the bridge leading from the Pavilion - never pay £6!! You need to look.

Errr.. you can't drive across the bridge

Quote Originally Posted by Yorkshire Rob View Post
    For some reason the Duke of Devonshire feels the need to charge £6 to park in his carparks (and there's not really anywhere else to park if you have a youngster with you). You can use the ticket at any of the three carparks which makes a small difference but £6 is still daylight robbery. If I was doing a longer walk with the youngster in a carrier I would park out of the way somewhere and walk down instead.

We wanted to go to the strid as it has some significance to us as a family so the pavilion would be too far downriver. Whilst my lad is pretty good for his age, he'll only walk so far before he wants carrying. He's nearly 3 stone so that's hard work and with my ankle stuffed up at the moment it's not an option. I also really don't like the pavilion so wanted to go to the tearooms at bolton abbey instead (hence needing a ticket to park there too). It was an easy mistake and I was annoyed at having made it, but I'll know for next time.

When I lived in Skipton I invested in an annual season ticket for the Bolton Abbey estate - last time I looked its about £50 a year which makes good sense if you plan on going down that way reasonably often. Although its often touristed to the rafters on a nice summer's day, walking/running through strid woods is absolutely lovely at this time of year.

Quote Originally Posted by Stolly View Post
    When I lived in Skipton I invested in an annual season ticket for the Bolton Abbey estate - last time I looked its about £50 a year which makes good sense if you plan on going down that way reasonably often. Although its often touristed to the rafters on a nice summer's day, walking/running through strid woods is absolutely lovely at this time of year.
    Cheers Stolly, I didn't realise you could get a season ticket. They're £60 now according to the website so might be a possibility.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Usually when unable to run due to injury, I go for a cycle ride; but today I decided to walk instead. Just over 3 hours of fairly relentless marching in beautiful evening sunshine, including some paths around Quorn that I haven't walked or run for many years, before the inevitable visit to Beacon Hill summit. And the strained calf muscle behaved perfectly; I was left wondering if maybe I could have got round the Warslow race yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by anthonykay View Post
    Usually when unable to run due to injury, I go for a cycle ride; but today I decided to walk instead. Just over 3 hours of fairly relentless marching in beautiful evening sunshine, including some paths around Quorn that I haven't walked or run for many years, before the inevitable visit to Beacon Hill summit. And the strained calf muscle behaved perfectly; I was left wondering if maybe I could have got round the Warslow race yesterday.
    I often find that when i am not able to run (due to general fatigue, or recovering from a race) i can put in a good hard walking session. If you really go for it on a steep enough incline, and as you say, keep it relentless, it is a tough workout.

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Quote Originally Posted by Travs View Post
    I often find that when i am not able to run (due to general fatigue, or recovering from a race) i can put in a good hard walking session. If you really go for it on a steep enough incline, and as you say, keep it relentless, it is a tough workout.
    Yes, my walk on Sunday was quite a good workout, and seemed to be using some muscles that don't get exercised when running or cycling.

My nearest and dearest has never had and never will have any interest in running. But over the last couple of years she has really got into walking and we have found that all the fell race routes I know make for great walks. There is something very pleasant about visiting places where I am normally totally knackered but instead can soak up the views and the ambience. Highly recommended!
    Simon Blease
    Monmouth

Anthony, is this not 'the nature of the beast'? The pleasant recuperation seems 'too easy'; so we dive in headlong and undo the benefits of the recuperation.
    Well done on resurrecting this worthy 7 year-old thread.

Ian.

QUOTE=anthonykay;634167]t. And the strained calf muscle behaved perfectly; I was left wondering if maybe I could have got round the Warslow race yesterday.[/QUOTE]
    I was a bit of an oddball until I was abducted by aliens; but I'm perfectly OK now!