Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Today's Walk

Master
    Within sight of Leicestershire's Beacon Hill
    Portbraddan to Giant ‘s Causeway along the coastal path. Thousands of tourists on the Causeway. Last time I was here, there were very few. That was 1981.

Yesterday was very clear: views of Kintyre, Islay and Colonsay, and two paps poking up behind the hills of Islay.

Super Moderator
    Haworth and back

Master
    [Yesterday's walk, actually.]
    Newcastle to Kilkeel via Slieve Commedagh, Slieve Beg, Cove Mountain, Slieve Lamagan, Slieve Binnian. No, I'm not in N.I. for the Mourne High Line (even if I wasn't injured, I probably wouldn't want to take an entry that might be used by a serious championship contender), I just had a business meeting in Belfast so decided to extend my stay by a day.

Sometimes on the mountains we get beautiful views; on other occasions we get the satisfaction of navigating successfully through clag. With the cloud base at little over 1000ft, yesterday was one of the latter experiences. After leaving the Glen River path to go up Shan Slieve on the way to Commedagh, I didn't see another person until I was on the roads near Kilkeel; mind you, I wouldn't have seen someone 20 yards away from me in that clag.

I can't remember when was the last time I did over 5000ft of climbing in a day; although it was the descents rather than he climbs that I found difficult, especially with my dodgy calf. The final descent off Binnian was the real killer; I presume there is a decent path up Binnian from the south, but I didn't see it. So I was just following the compass, and then noticed the Mourne Wall, so continued alongside it. But there's no real path there, just a very steep, rocky descent.

I found a gel wrapper on the slopes of Cove Mountain, which I removed. Left by a fell runner, I hope not?
    In his lifetime he suffered from unreality, as do so many Englishmen.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Super Moderator
    Sounds a great walk AK

I’ve been doing 25 to 30 miles per week in bits and bobs, and should manage 120 miles for April

Master
    Some good trespassing on the second half of today's walk.

Up to the Outwoods, then along the permissive path over Buck Hill, but instead of taking one of my usual routes to Beacon Hill, turned right over Whittle Hill. Across the road, and then the trespassing started. The old path into Longcliffe Quarry has been securely fenced off, but around 50 yards before the fence I noticed a clear trod off to the right, through the rough grass and brambles. This took me to a place where there was just a wire fence, with the wires bent down, so I went across and joined the path round the side of the quarry. Couldn't get down to the lake, as there was another secure fence across the track near the bottom; getting round that would have involved some abseiling.

On the way back up, I left the path to cut through the woodland, and across a brambly fence into Longcliffe Golf Course. Having been a student at St Andrews, I can't understand the English attitude that golf courses are private land; so I had no qualms about trespassing through the rough, until I picked up the public footpath that crosses the middle of the golf course.

2 hours 35 minutes for the whole walk. A rare example of a walk of over 6 miles on which I didn't visit Beacon Hill.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Master
    A walk that included Leicestershire's two 248-metre summits, Beacon Hill and Timberwood Hill. Taking the most direct route between the two involved a certain amount of road walking, and took me past a farm shop, where I couldn't resist going in and buying a few items of food. Timberwood Hill is one of my favourite places, with the steep little path up the east side, the cairn on top (I think it's the only hill with a cairn in Charnwood Forest), and the wildness of the moorland.

My route back home went via the trig point on Ives Head. It's the first time I've been there since the Whitsun bank holiday Monday in 1998. There's no public access, but the cross-country race at the Oaks-in-Charnwood Country Fair went up the hill. Sadly, the race hasn't been run in recent years, but it would certainly have been worthy of inclusion in the FRA calendar if the organisers had wanted it included. Anyway, I am told that the farmer is quite relaxed about people going up to the trig point, and I found a way up through the rather rough ground on the west side, and then down from the summit along the edge of some pasture fields to join the nearby bridleway.

There were just a couple of brief showers during an otherwise bright, windy day, but the weather looked rather grim over the Peak District. Every time I got to a viewpoint and looked in that direction, there was nothing but dark clouds to be seen where the Peak District should have been.
    Last edited by anthonykay; 03-10-2021 at 10:51 PM.
    Jorge Luis Borges

Took advantage of a wonderful Indian summer day to walk up Skirrid with the SO. Bittersweet. Yes its lovely to savour the view but I still so much miss the smoke and blood of competition in my beloved lofty places. C,est la vie!

Skirrid is some descent in the wet! And those fields are pretty strength-sapping in both directions!

Oh yes. It's a torrid race. Really tough test of endurance, speed climbing and nadgery descending plus outright speed for the long sprint home. Small but perfectly formed. I'm almost glad I don't have to put myself through it anymore....almost!

A Lovely walk today up Calf Top from Barbon - The most westerly of the Yorkshire Dales NP hills and venue for a fierce short fell race (that I have not done). Saw no one, but loads of skylarks and frogspawn. Bit Hazy for views of the lakes, but local hills looking good.
    This was the last one of the Yorkshire Dales 2000ft hills for me, on a list of 41 that I used. Run, walked and raced up them over 35 years. Slept on top of three of them. Most are good, but there is the odd pimple in the bog one. Any one been up Water Crag?