Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Help required.....

Help required.....

Hi All,

I'm after your votes, and this isn't a wind-up!

A colleague of mine is up for a national award (the Innovation category of the Local Govn Association's Employee of the Year Award) for his work on developing a changing and toileting facilty, in Nottingham, for use by people with profound and multiple disabilities. These are people who, without the use of the facility (called a Changing Place toilet) could only previously go to the loo or have their pads changed by being laid out on a standard disabled toilet floor, if it was clean enough, big enough and their carer strong enough.

The idea of only being able to meet the needs of a disabled partner, child or relative by laying them down on a toilet floor to change them is simply beyond (my) belief and Martin is rightly being recognised for his work.

What's needed, though, is more Changing Place toilets nationally so people with such disabilities can access facilities that you and I take for granted.

I'd appreciate it if people would take a minute or two to vote for Martin, so he can publicise the work at a national level.

You can vote for Martin here

http://www.thelocalgovernmentchannel.com/index.php?page=4&cat=5&sub=7&vid=14

See more information on Nottingham's Changing Place toilet here

http://www.nottinghamcity.gov.uk/sitemap/services/community_and_living/changing_place_toilet.htm

and see more information on the national Changing Places campaign here

http://www.changing-places.org

Thanks in advance

Happy Running

FB

Re: Help required.....

He gets my vote, sounds a good idea.

FANTASTIC IDEA - I am SICK of trying to change my sons nappies on the floors of grotty places so end up laying him on the back seat of the car - not much fun for a big 7 year old, this is only going to get more and more difficult the bigger he becomes.

An idea long overdue.

Has he thought about contacting special schools and there is also something called F.I.N.D - not sure which areas it's localised too but could be worth contacting , it's like a directory of disabled services, if it's publicity he's after or awareness?
    if you need the name and number of the administrator - let me know and I'll dig it out for you.

Lets hope it becomes something that is carried out nationwide and not just Nottingham.
    Last edited by emmilou; 15-05-2007 at 04:24 PM.

Thanks Emmilou.

I just want him to win 'cos I know it'll enable him to raise the issue on a national platform. He's already got it raised up loads of authority's agenda - there a Changing Places toilet in Wollaton Hall (in Nottm) now, and the Nottm Arena is looking to put one in, as well as interest from all over the country.

fb

It would be great if every town and city took their lead from Nottingham and installed facilities like these. We need more people like Martin, he gets my vote.

lost between Blackstone Edge and Stoodley Pike

Fat Bloke, my vote has been placed. I'm a children's physio and work with these children mentioned, and this is problem faced on a daily basis by many parents; really, do ' disabled toilets' meet the need of the disabled and unfortunately the answer is often no

with regards

Gaz

My vote has gone in. Such a simple and good idea and the right thing to do. These should be in every town and city.

Well done!
    I rely upon my luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Gaz View Post
    Fat Bloke, my vote has been placed. I'm a children's physio and work with these children mentioned, and this is problem faced on a daily basis by many parents; really, do ' disabled toilets' meet the need of the disabled and unfortunately the answer is often no

with regards

Gaz
    I've never been in one yet that meets the needs of my disabled son - it appears disabled toilets cater only for those people who are able minded yet physically disabled i.e wheel chair bound.

My son is able 'bodied' yet wears nappies as a 7 and a half year old and will continue to do so for many years yet I am reduced to laying him on a floor as there is simply no alternative - It usually means I sit on the floor and lay him across my lap so at least he's not in contact with the cold floor but he's getting a bit big (and heavy!!) to do this now!!

It's something so simple yet affects the activity you do - we usually go to places where we can keep the car close by in case we need to change him then as i said before we can lay him on the back seat (taking all the car seats out 1st though!)

There is also the privacy element he is getting older, taller etc I really don't want (for his sake) people peering over watching him getting cleaned and changed!

keep voting everyone!

voted

Just voted! people should never have to struggle with crap facilities like those mentioned... what a joke