Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reservoir Roundabout

Reservoir Roundabout

Anyone else doing this on Saturday? And has anyone done it before? It's 22 miles around the Elan Valley & I could do with a bit of advice on the route, particularly CP2 to CP3 above Claerwen Reservoir. And which side of Garreg-ddu Reservoir do runners generally take for the last bit? It looks fastest on the road on the east side, but it looks like there's a track parallel to the road - is this continuous & good for running? I don't really want to run on the road, but of course I want to get the best time I can. I know the west side will make for a more interesting run, but it's clearly longer & slower.

If you're going, I'll see you there!
    Andy Robinson
    Runfurther committee member
    Helsby Running Club

Re: Reservoir Roundabout II, 9

See you there on Sarurday, though only going very slowly walk/jog stuff and enjoying the day out, Missus also walking it for first time. Will be usual cast of 'misfits' there I expect, you'll probably recognise a few faces. Paul and Glyn from Newtown should be there.

Used to do it most years, guess it's the same route (though Carl is using a different start now, presume he hasn't changed anything else). Not sure what his checkpoints are (the rainguage?)but normally go over Claerwen dam and follow the high ground to cross stream ( wade across, can be a bit chilly in this weather ) at about SN 827654. You either climb up and over or go low and round the edge. Don't go low . Wade across another stream at about SN 820670, up over Monks Trod to Pont ar Elan. Road is quickest to the sheepfold and then a simple due North to Crugyn Ci CP. Keep North to Bwlch Croesnewydd and then West down to Carreg-ddu. You pick up the cycle track (not road) along East or reservoir to finish.
    If snow stays it'll be brilliant, but don't expect fast as you'll be ploughing through some rough ground + snow!!
    Don't roll with a pig in poo. You get covered in poo and the pig likes it.

Thanks very much Moley! I hadn't thought of going directly south to Crugyn Ci from the sheepfold, as I didn't know what the ground was like. My experience of the area (in particular the OMM this year) has taught me to stick to paths wherever possible. I had been planning to go further along the road to the bridleway at 933697. And it hadn't occurred to me to head for Bwlch Croesnewwydd - I was going to head along the bridleway to the SW then cut down left towards the car park. See you on Saturday I expect - will you be starting at 8:30 with the walkers, or 9:30?
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Fat lot I know mixing my Norths and Souths up . You can reach Crugyn Ci by going across the top plateau, very pleasant in good visibility and if you aren't in a hurry......you know the ground. The bridleway from the road is slower than the direct route from the sheepfold, and in low vis just pop the compass on South and go. 3 ways off Crugyn but the one I said is probably the easiest and quickest.
    Have to be there at 8.30 for the Missus and friend so may toddle off early, I'm not in a hurry.
    Anyone have any snowshoes I could try out?

Looks like this is still on for Saturday. Anyone know how much snow there is around the Elan Valley at the moment? I was expecting it to be off due to the car park being piled up with snow or unreachable.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

Been waiting for it to be cancelled, roads round here are dreadfull. But guess we can make it to the start?
    Lot of snow, and if it actually goes over the proper route the far side of Claerwen it could potentially be very hard . I have a feeling he may route it along the hard track East side of the reservoir - and bound to be a landrover tracks to run in from the farm at the far end.
    I'm still planning on trying to get there if it's on.
    Will be very interesting whatever and fantastic day out if the weather holds.

Paul has spoken to Carl, it's still on but he's changed the route. Start now is from the Elan visitors centre and it's 20 miles or 16m. Think it's lower level for safety etc. but not sure what it is - says he has a lot of entries so wants to put something on.
    We are still planning to go for the day out anyway.

Yes it was on - route went over Gro Hill to Llanerch Cawr, up to Claerwen dam on the track, over to the chapel, up the west side of the reservoirs to Craig Goch dam and back down the East side. Some very hard going in soft deep snow but a fantastic day. Very glad to be well down the field and let others break track!

Quote Originally Posted by The Midge View Post
    Very glad to be well down the field and let others break track!
    That would be me then! Wasn't it a great day out? I caught up with the trail blazers at the Claerwen dam, then headed up the track over to the chapel. Got to the stream crossing above the farm & I was up to my thighs - couldn't tell whether there was a path there or not. The 4 behind caught me here & one of them led the rest of the way over along the track, & we were leaping from one knee deep foot hole to the next most of the way to the trees on the other side. I left the others behind at the Penygarreg dam when they stopped for tea & biccies.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club

And hats off to Carl & his team for managing to organise the event in those conditions. They had to move the start venue, change the route completely, & then get people to man checkpoints, including by the Craig Goch dam which involved driving a Landrover through a snowdrift to get there.
    Andy Robinson
    Helsby Running Club