Page 63 of 63 FirstFirst ... 1353616263

Thread: Gravy Pud Fell Race

For those interested in running, entries are open on the race results website. 150 spaces left.

There are approx. 50 entries left for this race. On line entries available on race-results.co.uk.

On-line entries close 27th November.
    Oh when the blues...go marching in...

Is it still ok to turn up and enter on the day? Thanks.

Entries are now open for this years race, on December 3rd.

Online entries are through the race results website.
    Oh when the blues...go marching in...

Bill Fox Gravy Pud Fell Race

Northern boys love gravy!…East Anglians seem less enthusiastic?

When my brother-in-law Simon announced that Norwich was to be the location for his stag do it certainly surprised a few. The Norfolk city with its cathedral and cobbled streets would be a great cultural city break but it’s a long journey from Chorley for what was essentially a weekend ‘on the piss’. When quizzed why he’d chosen Norwich for his stag location he said “it’s closer than Rio de Janeiro”. Apparently Simon’s always liked the iconic Brazilian football kit and the canary yellow of Norwich City FC was to be the substitution that swayed his decision.

I wasn’t overly familiar with Simon’s mates so he’d asked if I fancied inviting one of my friends for company. Me and my mate Ste were introduced to Simon’s entourage on the platform of Chorley train station. Nothing out of the ordinary until he introduced us to Bally...”Darren, Ste this is Bally also known as Big Knob”. I’m slightly puzzled by this introduction and asked Bally if his alias is due to physical or psychological attributes? Bally just laughed, Simon answered my question by waving his arm about mimicking an elephants trunk. Actions speak louder than words.

On the train we’re sat opposite one of Simon’s mates who’s a plywood salesman. His enthusiasm for the shuttering qualities of Douglas Fir exterior ply and the moisture resistance of Marine ply is commendable but not really stag do talk. I asked plywood salesman to pull my finger, he did and I let rip with a beauty. He said his eyes were burning but my flatulence had lightened the mood during his description of the British Standards grading system used in the manufacture of plywood. So much so the conversation turned to whether Bally would be lobbing his ‘trunk’ out during the weekend. We crossed our fingers that he would…obviously out of curiosity!

On the final night of the stag weekend, to keep with tradition, Simon gets stripped off by his mates on the dance floor of some Norwich nightclub. Then by request the tones of One Step Beyond by Madness filled the room. This triggered some of Simon’s mates to then debag themselves and join their stag in a show of naked solidarity. Those of us who resisted the temptation to dance naked to 70’s ska music were soon joined by Simon and his backing dancers once Bally had hit the floor. A feeling of inadequacy had swept the room.

Bally certainly made a big entrance and confirmed that his Big Knob nickname was truly justified. Then my mate said “he’s also got impressive balls” and I spat my drink out with laughter then nodded in agreement. The bouncers started to make their move in fear that Bally would end up taking someone’s eye out or break limbs with his ‘propeller’ dancing routine. If he’d swung his hips any faster I swear we’d have witnessed levitation. I don’t think Bally will be making an appearance on Strictly Come Dancing anytime soon but I’m sure he’d score 10’s across the board. Obviously the show would have to change to a slot after the 9 o’clock watershed for this type of ‘entertainment’.

After the nightclub shenanigans we headed for some food. There’s nowt like chips and gravy when under the influence of alcohol. Unfortunately our luck was out as we can only find chips served with mayonnaise or cheese, gravy is not an option. I found this more shocking than what I’d witnessed in the nightclub and settled for chips with a large sausage and childishly re-enacted Bally’s ‘propeller’ dance which resulted in me getting thrown out of the chippy. In my defence I was young and foolish...ok, I was 30 years old.

This Northern boy loves gravy on his chips...not mayo and cheese.

Gravy Pud Fell Race: It’s a fast course ran over a mixture of terrain. A great introduction to fell running for anybody new to the sport with only one stiff climb. Nothing too technical on the descents but care is needed through the woods to avoid roots and low lying branches. It’s worth saving something for the runnable last mile back to the finish.

Many thanks to all involved.

Post race and the excellent Bulls Head pub with its open fire and cask beers is a great venue. There’s a guy at the bar and he’s standing out from the crowd with his unorthodox ‘socks’ and shoes combination. He’s got a fleece hat hanging over the top of one shoe and a running vest hanging out of the other shoe. I’m intrigued by his act of blatant sock replacement. He tells me he couldn’t find his spare socks and was making do with what he had available. I admired his resourcefulness and his ability to overcome the difficulties of cold feet. I’m presuming he’ll wash his hat and vest before the next time he wears them for their intended purposes.

The guy in question is Carl Bedson, he’s a field biologist who studies animal populations. Carl’s studied grizzly bears in Montana and antelopes in Tanzania. He’s currently working on the mountain hare population in England. Carl’s also a fell runner, he’s my friend and he’s one of the many reasons why I love this sport...I hope Carl has more luck finding the mountain hares than he did in finding his socks.

Imagine a long stuffed sock, well that’s about the size of it...Bally’s trunk.
    Last edited by Tindersticks; 03-12-2018 at 07:50 PM.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.

Excellent. As per.

Was this the hat in question?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Yw-6YZgvk
    Nic Barber. Downhill Dandy

Quote Originally Posted by ba-ba View Post
    Excellent. As per.

Was this the hat in question?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A4Yw-6YZgvk
    Thanks for sharing Nic, no it wasn’t.
    Darren Fishwick, Chorley.