Thread: Revising XC in G Manchester

Revising XC in G Manchester

Some of you may baulk at this suggestion, but don’t you think we need to have a re-think of cross country competition in Greater Manchester?
    I think we’re all in agreement that endurance club running is on the decline, both at junior and senior level. Although there has been the success of park run and the mass participation races, competitive club running has seen a decline recently and this has been reflected in the numbers taking part in cross country. Fewer runners means less revenue generated, but more importantly juniors who do compete are missing out on valuable local competition which they need, to progress up the continuum.
    In Greater Manchester alone, we have three leagues; SEL, MaD and RR. When comparing finishers, say in the Men’s race from the first race, we have 110??, 300 and 215 respectively. In order to provide better competition and the pooling of resources, is forming a more competitive ‘super’ league the answer? I know, for example, the SEL is steeped in history and goes back many years, but isn’t it time we moved on and modernised the delivery of cross country? Perhaps we could open these leagues and advertise them to non club runners too?
    Oh when the blues...go marching in...

Re: Revising XC in G Mancheste

To be honest Chaddy I really like the South East Lancs League and wouldn't like to see it go.

In fairness none of the SEL and Manchester and District meetings clash this year which suggests that the 2 leagues have communicated and also means that we as runners can run in all the fixtures.

It's actually fixtures in the Red Rose and Manchester and District meetings that clash this year. :thunbdown:
    To the Regiment - I Wish I Was There

Yes but Red Rose and Manchester do - which is why you ran away from the real competition last week Danbert

I think it would make sense to have 3 NW leagues and the strongest ones seem to be the Mid Lancs, GM and Red Rose so I would suggest that would be a good way forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Yes but Red Rose and Manchester do - which is why you ran away from the real competition last week Danbert

I think it would make sense to have 3 NW leagues and the strongest ones seem to be the Mid Lancs, GM and Red Rose so I would suggest that would be a good way forward.

30 seconds quicker today Witton - watch your back at Alton Towers matey :sneaky:

What about the Liverpool & District Cross Country Union Witton? That's definitely a North West League too and like the South East Lancashire League it is one of the oldest cross country leagues in the country?

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    30 seconds quicker today Witton - watch your back at Alton Towers matey :sneaky:

What about the Liverpool & District Cross Country Union Witton? That's definitely a North West League too and like the South East Lancashire League it is one of the oldest cross country leagues in the country?
    Liverpool might be - but it's only seniors I think and is dwindling. Liverpool Harriers are in the Mid Lancs and that's where their juniors usually race.

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    Liverpool might be - but it's only seniors I think and is dwindling. Liverpool Harriers are in the Mid Lancs and that's where their juniors usually race.

Liverpool Harriers under 15 and under 17 boys look to be running in the SEL this year Witton. To be honest they literally ran away with the under 17 boys race yesterday. :thumbup:

http://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2010/sel101.pdf

Quote Originally Posted by Danbert Nocurry View Post
    Liverpool Harriers under 15 and under 17 boys look to be running in the SEL this year Witton. To be honest they literally ran away with the under 17 boys race yesterday. :thumbup:

http://www.race-results.co.uk/results/2010/sel101.pdf
    I think they were reluctant to make the 4 hour round trip to Barrow - that's all - there were still some up there.

I think you'll see a few more at WITTON PARK for round 2 in 2 weeks time.