Page 421 of 430 FirstFirst ... 321371411419420421422423 ... LastLast
Results 4,201 to 4,210 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

I wrote an email to the race organisers/ Paul Dennison detailing my dismay (bit of an understatement) at being timed out by one minute after standing in a queue for about 7 or 8 mins at the pallet blockade! Paul Dennison phoned me last night to explain that he only had knowledge of this obstacle about 5 mins before the cut-off at Hill Inn, as the marshal at the offending access point did not have a walkie talkie. Also, he had to take in to consideration the exposure to the elements that his marshals were experiencing on the summits of Whernside and Ingleborough. I completely understand his position but he wasn't for refunding my entry fee. I'm gutted that this has happened, as the 3 peaks is my stomping ground and I had so much lovely support from family and friends/Settle Harriers - it was a fantastic day until I arrived at the Hill Inn. I need to do another race soon to lift my spirits!

Thanks for that Stolly - good point!

I think there people's splits are unreliable unless you know them personally and what kind of runner they are! My three sets of splits from the three times I've run the three peaks race are all really different. First race I did I ran consistently and steadily (4.30) and the splits are probably the most reliable but the next time I tried to beat them to get a better time and have faster times until Whernside when I blew up and got cramp so lost all the time I made up and finished 5 minutes slower (4.35). This year I wasn't race fit so all my splits are slower and I finished in 5.11 but my split from Whernside to Hill Inn is not far off my split from the previous time because I nearly killed myself trying to beat the cut-off. I wouldn't want anyone to go on my splits!

Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    You have to be careful of those 3P splits as they are based on average speed and the first half of the course is much faster than the second half.
    The best way to work out a schedule is to check the times and splits of runners from previous years.
    You'll find a mix, because some (like me) used to get around to Ribblehead fairly comfortably in 1:45 ish and then hang on for a 4:45.
    Others may only get through RH is 1:55 and yet finish in 4:30.
    Last edited by Hes; 04-05-2016 at 05:09 PM.
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

I think its good that Paul rang you. It shows that he values your opinion even if he didn't waver on the refund. What Stolly said is true though. Personally, I had to walk for five minutes to recover from the effort of getting to Hill Inn and beating the cut-off. I only beat it because I am a 'stubborn cow' and I nearly killed myself in the effort to do so. Both you and my friend in Ripon Runners (who also missed the cut-off by a minute) would have kept running at a steady pace and neither of you would have caused the marshals to have been out for any longer than they already were. Whilst I was sorting myself out so I could get running again, I walked with a few runners who felt that it didn't matter if they ran or walked now they'd beaten the cut-off. I didn't feel that way, too competitive, and pushed on as soon as I felt I could but I think there are a few people who just aim to get past that last cut-off and then relax. I feel really frustrated on your behalf!

Quote Originally Posted by muddy two shoes View Post
    I wrote an email to the race organisers/ Paul Dennison detailing my dismay (bit of an understatement) at being timed out by one minute after standing in a queue for about 7 or 8 mins at the pallet blockade! Paul Dennison phoned me last night to explain that he only had knowledge of this obstacle about 5 mins before the cut-off at Hill Inn, as the marshal at the offending access point did not have a walkie talkie. Also, he had to take in to consideration the exposure to the elements that his marshals were experiencing on the summits of Whernside and Ingleborough. I completely understand his position but he wasn't for refunding my entry fee. I'm gutted that this has happened, as the 3 peaks is my stomping ground and I had so much lovely support from family and friends/Settle Harriers - it was a fantastic day until I arrived at the Hill Inn. I need to do another race soon to lift my spirits!
    'The birds are the keepers of our secrets'

Quote Originally Posted by ChevinbyTorchlight View Post
    ... If you're missing the Hill Inn cut-off by 5mins or less, the only person you need to take a look at is yourself....
    ... People are too quick to lay the blame instead of improving themselves first and foremost....
    ...Anyone operating within the spirit of the sport would just put it down to lessons learned and move on...
    These comments rather miss the point. All runners at that end of the field run the 3 Peaks with the 3.30 Hill Inn cut off time very much at the forefront of their minds. They aim to pace themselves to make sure they get through it (even if, for some, this will always be a close call) leaving enough energy to get over Ingleborough. What these entrants could not have anticipated was the entirely unexpected problem of being held up for 5 minutes or more at the pallet blockade below Whernside.
    In the spirit of fell running, all these competitors (bar one it seems) politely queued up to clamber one-by-one over the blockade. So, having trained for months and months and properly paced themselves to get through the 3.30 cut off, they found themselves timed out through no fault of their own. If I had been in their shoes, I would have been bitterly disappointed to find myself in that situation. That is why they deserve our sympathy rather than being patronised about their level of fitness.

Quote Originally Posted by Ilkley Swimmer View Post
    These comments rather miss the point. All runners at that end of the field run the 3 Peaks with the 3.30 Hill Inn cut off time very much at the forefront of their minds. They aim to pace themselves to make sure they get through it (even if, for some, this will always be a close call) leaving enough energy to get over Ingleborough. What these entrants could not have anticipated was the entirely unexpected problem of being held up for 5 minutes or more at the pallet blockade below Whernside.
    In the spirit of fell running, all these competitors (bar one it seems) politely queued up to clamber one-by-one over the blockade. So, having trained for months and months and properly paced themselves to get through the 3.30 cut off, they found themselves timed out through no fault of their own. If I had been in their shoes, I would have been bitterly disappointed to find myself in that situation. That is why they deserve our sympathy rather than being patronised about their level of fitness.
    Well said Ilkley S.

I guess the cut offs are there to protect the marshals and should be enforced especially in bad conditions. This farmer who blocked the way should be the one taking a look at himself. The Three Peaks Race is iconic and historic and should be protected from people like this.

I only just made the cut off at Ribblehead so I would have been in the queue had I not dropped out. I will 'take a look at myself' and 'train harder' for next year!

But the conditions on Saturday weren't actually that bad relatively speaking and, for the marshals on Ingleborough, I guess they would have been asked to be up there for 4 or 5 hours plus 5 minutes instead of just 4 or 5 hours. The marshals on the day were all brilliant and I'm sure they would have toughed out another 5 minutes if asked.

As for the farmer, like I said before, maybe he thought that making his pallets tough and tightly fitted was the right thing to do, making them safer to climb over?

I didn't get to the pallets on Saturday
    At Witton, we have also had some problems with gates, where we use the farmers land for cross country around the back, over the saucer. One had become dangerous and 2 were in a state of disrepair.
    Between our club, the Red Rose League and Lancashire AA, we have paid for 3 new gates in the last few years, as a gesture to the farmer as we appreciate his cooperation and don't feel he should be out of pocket for letting us use his land.
    Maybe there is enough money in the kitty to offer to pay for the farmer to put on a proper gate? I'm sure the farmer would appreciate the gesture and it would avoid any other problems at that point.
    Richard Taylor
    "William Tell could take an apple off your head. Taylor could take out a processed pea."
    Sid Waddell

That's a good idea Richard. The gap in the wall is I imagine rarely used by the farmer, for sure there is rarely livestock on Winterscales Pasture. There are often sheep on the main track and river side of the wall though so he does need the gap blocked to stop the sheep disappearing up Whernside. Mind you would a gate increase access to the fell side there by walkers and runners?