Page 1 of 23 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Cardington Cracker

Cardington Cracker

Good race today,

Very windy, but conditions were as good as you could hope for really. Sunny, but very windy.

Great event well flagged. Good field out.

Results that I know of,

Lloyn T 1st 1:10:53 (just outside the record)
    Tom Owens 2nd
    3rd?

Ist woman Helen Feines, took the record, I think 1:25:??
    Jackie Lee 2nd
    Anna Bartlett 3rd

I came 15th, in 1:23:35, felt I went OK, but too runnable for me in sections.

Well organised, first race in that area, felt the full 9 miles and felt every foot of the 2800 ft, I thought it felt longer and harder than the 9 miles 2800ft it is. fast but steep ascents, and steep greassy descents. The wind will have slowed down times I reckon, but TBH the course was no where near as nbboggy as I'd have expected.

Anyway thanks to the organisers and Marshalls. Has everything from fast X-country sections, steady ascents and descents, ridges, steep ascents and descents. Probably means everyone found it hard work at some point yet great at points. Some lovely descents.
    Last edited by IainR; 03-12-2007 at 10:01 AM.

Re: Cardington Cracker

Glad you enjoyed your trip to Shropshire Iain. It was certainly windy wasn't it? I got blown off my feet just on the rocky step down off Caradoc....and I couldn't get back up again!

Actually, I think it's only quoted around these parts as being 2,600ft of ascent....but you're right, you do feel every one of them!! I hope you've got the Long Mynd Valleys in your diary? If you loved it yesterday, you'll be ecstatic at that race!!!

Btw, were you parked in the village hall car park? In a silver car? With an Eryri vest on?
    Loving life in the Highlands

blog

Yeah, there were 5 of us in that car, 4 guys and a girl, all Eryri. I think I was the only Eryri guy wearing leggins in the race, the others had shorts.

Also wore a thin long sleeved thermal beneath my vest, wasn't sure and felt a bit hot in the second half, but may have been to cold in just a vest. Yeah aim to do the Long Mynd, basically, because of football all Saturday races are out for me, and I think that's a sunday again, which suits me.

I must have been just behind you Iain, i was first female in 1.24.15...

I agree it is a great race with a bit of everything. I got blown off my feet twice, the wind was stronger than last year but it wasn't so wet underfoot. Great to see lots of Eryri vests.

Yeah, I expected the course to be a lot wetter, especially after that first boggy green lane we ran down just after the start, but it was pretty good underfoot.

I recognise the dog, Pedwar, lovely dog.

Didn't know you took that much of the record, that's quite a chunk, well done. I thought Jackie was in the lead as I'd seen her not far behind me as I went through the fields before the climb to Caradoc.

Yeah the clubs going through a bit of a growth spurt again, we've got quite a few runners in their 20's and 30's again and a few talented juniors coming through over the next few years.

Yep Iain, the Valleys is a Sunday race as well.

We were the car parked next to you, both in Newport green vests. I was the fool who trotted back into the car park at 10.20ish having already done nearly an hour and a half out on the hills Just time to get some malt loaf and drink down me, get the entry in and get back to the start line

Well done Longdogs, that is amazing running!!

blog

Thanks for saying Pedwar is a lovely dog. Maybe his Welsh name adds to the appeal for an Eryri harrier!

Jackie was leading for most of the race in fact, i was lucky to hold onto the slight lead i got. I am glad i went because when the alarm went off Sunday morning i was knackered and nearly went back to sleep.

Does anyone know if the results/photos are up anywhere?

Results are up on www.dk10k.co.uk

Looks like photos will follow tomorrow sometime.

blog

Master (notsomuchofa)Fellrunner's Avatar

Despite falling over once & losing the flags twice before we hit The Lawley I was happy with my run & really grateful for the marshals staying out in such breezy conditions.

Looks like more photos will be getting loaded later in the week......

http://www.flickr.com/photos/baldeag...7603360640656/

.....will there be a photo showing how happy Longdogs was at the finishing line ?
    I've just decided I don't trust you anymore.

Quote Originally Posted by IainR View Post
    Good race today,
    Very windy, but conditions were as good as you could hope for really. Sunny, but very windy.
    As windy as you could hope for!!! Not sure whether being big and heavy helps in a fierce wind - more wind resistance I reckon - also I couldn't go downhill as fast as usual, one big gust and I'd have been over - still didn't do too badly and was one of the few non-Mercia prize winners!!

Like the dogs Longdogs - we've got an Irish Wolfhound but he won't run very far, just howls a lot.