Thread: Long Mynd Time Trial

Long Mynd Time Trial

I just thought I'd put this up, as it might interest anyone located in Shropshire, Worcestershire, West Midlands...

It's a 10 mile(ish) time-trial between two villages in the Long Mynd area... doesn't appear to be an FRA classified event at all, but seeing as the route obviously needs to go up and over the Long Mynd, it might appeal to people.

I know nothing else about the event, I have no connection, it just popped up on my Facebook. Only other details I know are it's £5 entry, and runners are set off at 1 or 2 minute intervals, as in a cycling time trial.

Anyway, a link to their website is here...

www.timetrial.org.uk

Oh just thought I'd mention, it appears you need to print out an entry form and bring it on the day! But i'm the RO has something in place for those who no doubt forget!

I can 100% vouch that this is a fantastic event. Bit of a hidden gem really. Most fell runners local to Shropshire will have a bash at this and its a great start to kicking off the winter racing and testing your fitness from your summer efforts.

As said its a time trial so minute intervals for setting off.

Aim is to travel on foot, unaided, in the shortest time possible between Little Stretton
    (from Grid Ref SO 442 919) and Stiperstones Village (telephone box at Grid Ref SJ 364
    005) - about 9 or 10 miles depending on route choice.

Nice pint afterwards in the stiperstones pub afterwards.
    "You cannot propel yourself forward by patting yourself on the back"

I'm probably going to head over to Little Stretton again on sunday and give this a bash.

Doubt i'll go at it full race pace (famous last words), but use it as a decent hard training run of around 9 miles, assuming i don't get lost.

A fair bit of route choice to be had.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    I'm tempted but may have a weekend of helping parent move house as yet undecided..
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Really enjoyed this today, although it was pretty much a solo affair.

From Little Stretton, 90% of competitors went through the campsite and into Ashes valley, presumably coming out of the end of the valley up onto the top of the Mynd.

I took the lesser-travelled path, up the "main" path contouring the side of Callow, getting the climb done early, reaching the plateau on top of the Mynd in around 25mins.

Half a mile of heather-bashing then left me with a good half an hour of hilly road running, finally reaching the farm at the foot of Stiperstones Fell as the hour ticked over.

A sharp climb over the ridge then a hectic descent down to Stiperstones village, reaching the finish in around 1:15:45

Last year's v40 winning time was 1hr18 so fingers crossed i might take the prize this year, but will await the results.

Will be nowhere near the overall prize, Sara Wilhoit went off about a minute before me and i think beat me by at least 5 minutes, and i heard ominous reports of Dan Connolly warming up for an attempt as well. Maybe top 5-10 if i'm lucky.

Was interested to see how i might compare to the "all time elite" list which starts at 66 minutes for the men... that ticked over as i was climbing onto the final ridge... if i'd only been a few minutes off then i'd imagine with a more focused preparation and some real commitment on the day, i could have a good go.... but 10mins is too much, and that will have to wait for another lifetime.

https://merciafellrunners.org.uk/res...me-trial-2022/

7th overall but only 5th v40......

4 of the top 5 over 40, including Athers of this parish.

Live in Brum, run in Worcestershire and Shropshire
    Well done Pete - a time I could only dream of these days. I did look at the course last week and I would have favoured the same initial route as you but after a descent off the long Mynd it is hard to know how best to hit Stiperstones - too many roads, not enough footpaths and some rather annoying little hills in the way. Anyway, may be next year for me.
    Pete Shakespeare - U/A

Going downhill fast

Quote Originally Posted by PeteS View Post
    Well done Pete - a time I could only dream of these days. I did look at the course last week and I would have favoured the same initial route as you but after a descent off the long Mynd it is hard to know how best to hit Stiperstones - too many roads, not enough footpaths and some rather annoying little hills in the way. Anyway, may be next year for me.
    Its clear that you need to pass over the Mynd, with the two obvious options.

And everybody seemed to be converging at Hollies Farm at the back of Stiperstones....

Its linking those two parts up... Judging by what i saw, and a few clues at registration, a route via Ratlinghope seemed to be the popular option... But even then there's still a couple of variations.

I took the road route from Medlicott, which linked up well with my initial climb up onto the Mynd, and provided a pretty direct road route all the way to the bottom of Stiperstones.