Page 331 of 430 FirstFirst ... 231281321329330331332333341381 ... LastLast
Results 3,301 to 3,310 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Re: Three Peaks Fell Race

Quote Originally Posted by simon jones24 View Post
    hi was after a place for saturday if anybody has one.know its a longshot but would be very grateful if anyone can help
    You might struggle a bit, no substitutions are allowed on race day and online substitution ended on March 31st according to the website. If you were thinking of running under someone else's name that might be a bit tricky too, last year you needed ID to collect your number.
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

Quote Originally Posted by simon jones24 View Post
    hi was after a place for saturday if anybody has one.know its a longshot but would be very grateful if anyone can help
    hi sorry they're very strict with entries, you could substitute until about 3 weeks ago but closed now. They ask for proof of ID at registration.

Stubar - you won't need to navigate unless you are likely to beat 3 hrs or are going to take over 5.5hrs. If you are like me and are an average runner (4-4.5hrs) you will always be close to a fellow runner and won't even need to get a map out, let alone a compass or garmin. Enjoy your day out - it's going to be a boggy 1 compared to the last 3 years, but heat won't be an issue. There is also a thread running on what shoes to wear - I have done it in Wave Harriers a couple of times, but may go for a lighter shoe this year - Talons if this "drought" continues. Good luck

Quote Originally Posted by stubar View Post
    how tough is the course to navigate for someone not familiar with the territory. is there usually someone within sight? I've seen video of the ascent of PYG and there is just a constant stream of people making there way up, I appreciate this is near the start and the field will spread out.

I've walked the 3 peaks one time and remember that there is a quite long area of flat (approaching ribblehead?) which won't seem a problem finding a way either.

I'm gonna program the checkpoint map references into my Garmin for some GPS bearings and also carry the map and compass as is required.

Any advice please?

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    If you were thinking of running under someone else's name that might be a bit tricky too, last year you needed ID to collect your number.
    If you were thinking of running under someone else's name.......
    "The race is held under UK Athletics laws, FRA and 3 Peaks competition rules. Any breach of the rules will result in disqualification from the 2012/13/14 races which period may be extended."
    Even I don't know who The Grump is.
    I. Bickerstaff

Quote Originally Posted by TheGrump View Post
    If you were thinking of running under someone else's name.......
    "The race is held under UK Athletics laws, FRA and 3 Peaks competition rules. Any breach of the rules will result in disqualification from the 2012/13/14 races which period may be extended."
    Very true (I was trying to avoid being called an arsehole again )
    @Hill_Runner on twitter

come and do Fellsman- there are places!!

Navigation could be a problem. It would be quite easy to lose sight of people in the clag when going up Whernside for example, so if visibility is down there are parts of the route where you could lose contact.
    I think this is the case with all fell races and individuals have to be responsible.

I know several athletes went wrong in the Stan Bradshaw recently despite knowing the terrain very well.

Quote Originally Posted by Rob Furness View Post
    Very true (I was trying to avoid being called an arsehole again )
    Looks like our posts crossed. Why would he call you an arsehole? You were polite and didnt call him irresponsible.

I ageee with wp, that talk of following others is dangerous. The weather is probably going to be awful. Everyone responsible for navigation. I think whernside will be flagged though (point still stands).

Its a bit wrong people plotting coordinates into those bloody watches why dont you use a compass ?

Quote Originally Posted by andygib1982 View Post
    Its a bit wrong people plotting coordinates into those bloody watches why dont you use a compass ?
    It's also cheating according to the FRA's rules.