Page 332 of 430 FirstFirst ... 232282322330331332333334342382 ... LastLast
Results 3,311 to 3,320 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Re: Three Peaks Fell Race

Its also a bit pointless as the route is pretty much impossible to get lost on, especially with such a large field of runners. The only conceivable bit of the race that needs navigation in poor visibility is the ascent of Whernside but, unless you're right at the front of the race an easy to follow trod will be created by the first dozen or so runners

I'll be in roclite 319s. They checked my id last year (thought it was because I look so young!).

Would love to do fellsman.but have the kids to look after at night.maybe next year

Groan. For the avoidance of any doubt, I was merely answering a question about co-ordinates. I have no plans to cheat by programming any checkpoints into a garmin or similar device.

Quote Originally Posted by Dynamo Dan View Post
    It's also cheating according to the FRA's rules.
    I'm going to regret asking, but I'm curious about which rule? Must be the UKA rule that forbids the use of any technical device (except heart rate monitors)? I guess a compass could be considered a technical device, but that would be daft.

(a similar UKA rule bans runners from not wearing at least a vest, but that rule doesn't get applied!)

Replies, if any, to this question must be answered bearing in mind that I have no intention of using any such technical device and will probably wear at least a vest, I'm just interested.
    Last edited by RichK; 26-04-2012 at 12:06 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by simon jones24 View Post
    Would love to do fellsman.but have the kids to look after at night.maybe next year
    The 3 peaks is a pussy cat compared...

Quote Originally Posted by RichK View Post
    I'm going to regret asking, but I'm curious about which rule? Must be the UKA rule that forbids the use of any technical device (except heart rate monitors)? I guess a compass could be considered a technical device, but that would be daft.

(a similar UKA rule bans runners from not wearing at least a vest, but that rule doesn't get applied!)

Replies, if any, to this question must be answered bearing in mind that I have no intention of using any such technical device and will probably wear at least a vest, I'm just interested.
    My understanding is: the compass is there as a mandatory (where stated) piece of safety equipment. Any other bit of gear is a technical device that could be considered as giving the user an unfair advantage.

Maybe a RO can shed light.

Quote Originally Posted by Brotherton Lad View Post
    My understanding is: the compass is there as a mandatory (where stated) piece of safety equipment. Any other bit of gear is a technical device that could be considered as giving the user an unfair advantage.

Maybe a RO can shed light.
    can i wear my watch to monitor : distance run,pace, heart rate and time?

Quote Originally Posted by stubar View Post
    can i wear my watch to monitor : distance run,pace, heart rate and time?
    People wear those all the time. It's an interesting area for rules and rapidly moving technology. Fortunately I'm not responsible for either drafting them or applying them.

Common sense (to me) says a watch etc is entirely fine, a GPS navigational aid probably isn't and a HRM is interesting (never heard a runner protest that someone else was monitoring his heart rate and therefore had an advantage, but you never know). I expect what gets tricky is when you have a single bit of kit that can do all of those functions.

Probably worth a thread all on its own (along with the definition of waterproof and hat). The above are merely personal opinions, I've no FRA authority. FRA events have to abide by UKA General Rules 1 to 24 plus specific FRA Rules. UKA Rules are, of course, built around athletic events in general. I suspect, though I don't know, that a HRM would get frowned on in a 5000m championship race on the track.
    Last edited by Brotherton Lad; 26-04-2012 at 12:41 PM.

Fell running goes "complicated" ! Get your shoes on & run. That's what I say.