Page 373 of 430 FirstFirst ... 273323363371372373374375383423 ... LastLast
Results 3,721 to 3,730 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Re: Three Peaks Fell Race

One other thank you - Anna Marie and and from Chorley Harriers A.C and Tri (whatever it is these days) offering grub and drinks at the top of Whernside - a very welcome site - it's not just the fuel that helps, but the brief chat and encouragement.
    Thanks guys - same time (well hopefully a few a few minutes earlier), same place next year

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    I agree. Not one jelly baby offer from spectators this year. The weather was a real contrast. Snow on PYG. I then burnt my forehead later on in the sun.
    I got a jelly baby! And some water, and a fruit gum, and an offer (declined) of a dextrose tablet. Maybe I just looked so bloody awful the spectators took pity on me.
    Friends in high places.

Re: 3 Peaks Fell Race 2013

Quote Originally Posted by geronimo View Post
    Hi Andy
    finished in 4:39 which was a PB by 3 minutes but 30 minutes outside my target time. please under the circumstances as the leg gave way going up whernside and it was a war of atrition from there onwards especially the last two miles when i knew i had to dig deep to get a PB. did you run today?
    Well done, good run, see what tapering does for you!

I did 3.56, a minute or so faster than last time in 2011, probably because of the new path. I was happy not to be slower as I've not done a lot of longer runs over the winter. No big dramas but a bit hot for me, topless for most of the race!

Just back from my now traditional hair of the dog-the day after the 3 Peaks 2 laps of the local playing fields soft shoe shuffle.

Second year in a row where I've had to really dig in in order to meet the Hill Inn cut off. Managed to do that and managed to escape unscathed from the dreaded cramp and without any traces of muscle tightness / strain that has plagued me in recent weeks so a good result as far as I'm concerned. Having done the race a few times now certainly helps in knowing what it takes to get round. Touching to be applauded into the finish by amongst others the 1st U25 our very own Ba ba. :thumbup:

The marshalls were superb - especially the guy who was hoarse with encouragement on top of Whernside. I got a piece of kendal mint cake & a dried apricot from a youngster.
    Last edited by Manhar; 28-04-2013 at 10:19 AM. Reason: It's Sunday morning
    This BG round & the training therein is dedicated to the fond memory of Daz H - there is no such word as can't.

Another first timer's thank you here - marshalling and support was top notch all the way around, I had offers of jelly babies, Haribo (twice), a bit of orange and water too. Couldn't have asked for more Happy with 4.25 too, every other long race I've tried to do this year has been cancelled so I gave up on the training weeks ago!

Another DNF to throw in `ere. Problems with achilles/soleus for last two week gained at Blubbers 25. Just couldn`t stretch it out, which made the ascents difficult, to the point of walking backwards up Whernside for a moment or two. Made the cut at Hill Inn, but knew it wasn't going to a sane thing to carry on. But that's all I was hoping for beforehand, just to get to the Hill Inn and see how things were. Ah well onto next year and try again to beat my 4.34. Must say a big thanks to all the marshals and supporters out there from the local Leeds/Bradford area and to fellow runners for encouragement. Although had to laugh at a supporter near Hill Inn who said I wasn't even out of breath, well, the legs certainly were. Just one final thing, found the new bit from PYG , quite easy on the legs, but what do we think on here about the new slabs on the Whernside descent ??, didn't like them at all. Quite slippy and that's with them dry -ish .
    "Ackworth Road Runners ? what yer doin ont fells then? "

Aha, that was you Andy passing me at a canter going up Ingleborough !

Quote Originally Posted by AndyA View Post
    Well done, good run, see what tapering does for you!

I did 3.56, a minute or so faster than last time in 2011, probably because of the new path. I was happy not to be slower as I've not done a lot of longer runs over the winter. No big dramas but a bit hot for me, topless for most of the race!

Quote Originally Posted by Tiptoe me not!! View Post
    Just one final thing, found the new bit from PYG , quite easy on the legs, but what do we think on here about the new slabs on the Whernside descent ??, didn't like them at all. Quite slippy and that's with them dry -ish .
    I agree on the new section over Whitber - I didn't expect such a long section and it was easier on legs, but I didn't feel it was quicker although it may have been.

I agree on the Whernside slabs, they were awful and to double tape us in to that section and not allow us to get off the edge was asking for falls.

I didn't like that little drag where you leave the Pennine Way and head for Birkwith - it used to be a bit gloopy and eroded, but having been flatenned to make a clear track and trodden on by all the walkers and 500+ runners, it was like blu-tack to run on.

Quote Originally Posted by Tiptoe me not!! View Post
    . Just one final thing, found the new bit from PYG , quite easy on the legs, but what do we think on here about the new slabs on the Whernside descent ??, didn't like them at all. Quite slippy and that's with them dry -ish .
    Yes, they were hard work but I suspect that they wouldn't usually have so much mud on them! I can understand why they are there. Maybe they 'bed in' after a year or two?

Quote Originally Posted by Jez Hellewell View Post
    Aha, that was you Andy passing me at a canter going up Ingleborough !
    Probably, not sure about the canter though!

I put my vest back on near the top of Ingleborough as the wind picked up a bit, then spent the whole descent far too hot, but not daring to pull it off in case I fell! I stopped briefly on the way down to check on some guy who took a tumble (most just spring back up but he was sat there staring at his ankle with his confused face on!) but failed to take the opportunity.

My first 3peaks and finished in 3.31. I lost around twenty places from halfway up inglebugger. Cramp started to set in after whernside, went for my last gel at the hill inn but it had burst after an earlier tumble. Trying to eat a mars bar while running took some doing and did nothing but made me feel sick.

I slipped on the stile coming off inglebugger and cramped up so thanks to the Marshall who helped stretch my legs. :-) great race and I thought the encouragement of the spectators, marshalls and other runners was first class.

I ran the first half with Sam Watson and two others from wharfedale. He has to spend half his energy nodding and saying hello as literally EVERYONE knew him. Ha. ;-)