Page 374 of 430 FirstFirst ... 274324364372373374375376384424 ... LastLast
Results 3,731 to 3,740 of 4300

Thread: Three Peaks Fell Race

Re: 3 Peaks Fell Race 2013

Well done everyone, some cracking performances that put mine to shame!...

I was feeling fairly optimistic on the start line as I've been running pretty well of late but as it was my 1st effort at the race the plan was to go out steady till at least Ribblehead in the hope that I'd have something left for Ingleborough and the finish but the reality was quite different. I did run steady but felt like I struggled to get going from the off, seemed like I just had nothing in the tank and by the time I reached Ribblehead my legs were already starting to tighten up. Slowly but surely my steady pace became a slow plod and the final few miles home were a real grind. Managed to just about stave off the cramp till a few miles from home when it stopped me in my tracks.

So I've been left with mixed feelings, undoubtedly a great race, very well organised, great support (being a 1st timer I have nothing to compare it to), brilliant marshalling and it's another classic ticked off the to do list but I found it a real struggle but I guess that's the challenge. Yesterday I thought I wouldn't do it again, now I'm thinking maybe as I know there's lots of room for improvement.

For the record my time was 4:43:50.

First time for me. did not think i would make the cut offs so was pleased to scrape in 4.56. great race, fantastic marshalling and a big thanks to the guy who pulled my camper out of the field! Swore i would never do it again...but more training (some training!!) and next year is looking good!

Quote Originally Posted by Starsky View Post
    Well done everyone, some cracking performances that put mine to shame!...

I was feeling fairly optimistic on the start line as I've been running pretty well of late but as it was my 1st effort at the race the plan was to go out steady till at least Ribblehead in the hope that I'd have something left for Ingleborough and the finish but the reality was quite different. I did run steady but felt like I struggled to get going from the off, seemed like I just had nothing in the tank and by the time I reached Ribblehead my legs were already starting to tighten up. Slowly but surely my steady pace became a slow plod and the final few miles home were a real grind. Managed to just about stave off the cramp till a few miles from home when it stopped me in my tracks.

So I've been left with mixed feelings, undoubtedly a great race, very well organised, great support (being a 1st timer I have nothing to compare it to), brilliant marshalling and it's another classic ticked off the to do list but I found it a real struggle but I guess that's the challenge. Yesterday I thought I wouldn't do it again, now I'm thinking maybe as I know there's lots of room for improvement.

For the record my time was 4:43:50.
    This is exactly how I felt last year, spent the whole race feeling awful with a steady stream coming past. It took me over an hour to get down from Ingleborough, finished in 4.36 after aiming for 4.00.
    This year it was a different race, no expectations other than to enjoy it all. Loved every minute (maybe still not the final descent - so difficult!) I took 53 minutes off my time (3.43) and now looking to next year how to shave more off. It's a weird race, I think because it's so long then the ascents are short but savage. I didn't respect it enough last year but definitely learned a lot for this year so fair play to those first timers who finished so strongly! Can't wait for next year - never thought i'd be saying that 12 hours after I finished!

Congratulations to everyone who ran yesterday, it was a great event to watch. We had all four seasons in one day!

Six of us from Rochdale jogged round the course and we handed out harribo, jelly snakes and all sorts. With nearly 1000 runners tough, we soon ran out. We ran about 14 miles and here are about 180 pictures taken along the way. Kevin took quite a few too, and Ian Slater was up there with his top notch camera, so many more to come. Once again well done to all, especially John above and his massive PB! http://racemaps.org.uk/ThreePeaksfel...bum/index.html
    Biriani for endurance, pathia for speed.

Banned

Quote Originally Posted by Epocian View Post
    Working now. Many thanks Epocian.

I was having quite a good race up to the Hill Inn, but then got stomach cramps which left me feeling very sick all the way up Ingleborough. For anyone who saw me - I was the one with hands on knees, dry retching. Took me 1hr 8mins from the Hill Inn to the summit!!

Still, had a good run off the top after perking up a bit and squeaked in under the 5hr mark at 4.56.... Just a real shame that stomach went, as I was still feeling quite strong and really think 4.15-4.20 would have been doable.

Will be back next year for another go!
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Master

Quote Originally Posted by fozzy View Post
    I was having quite a good race up to the Hill Inn, but then got stomach cramps which left me feeling very sick all the way up Ingleborough. For anyone who saw me - I was the one with hands on knees, dry retching. Took me 1hr 8mins from the Hill Inn to the summit!!

Still, had a good run off the top after perking up a bit and squeaked in under the 5hr mark at 4.56.... Just a real shame that stomach went, as I was still feeling quite strong and really think 4.15-4.20 would have been doable.

Will be back next year for another go!
    I passed you just after Hill Inn - glad you got round as it looked/sounded pretty terminal. Out of interest what did you eat/drink? I had 1 cup of water at Hill Inn, and a pair of energy bars - Nature Valley Oats and Honey - as I went past you. I only came in a few seconds ahead of you.

Quote Originally Posted by Brummy John View Post
    Congratulations to everyone who ran yesterday, it was a great event to watch. We had all four seasons in one day!

Six of us from Rochdale jogged round the course and we handed out harribo, jelly snakes and all sorts. With nearly 1000 runners tough, we soon ran out. We ran about 14 miles and here are about 180 pictures taken along the way. Kevin took quite a few too, and Ian Slater was up there with his top notch camera, so many more to come. Once again well done to all, especially John above and his massive PB! http://racemaps.org.uk/ThreePeaksfel...bum/index.html
    Excellent pics BJ :thumbup: Looks like Karl's fall may have cost him second place. Desperately unlucky :thunbdown:
    No country for old men.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike T View Post
    I passed you just after Hill Inn - glad you got round as it looked/sounded pretty terminal. Out of interest what did you eat/drink? I had 1 cup of water at Hill Inn, and a pair of energy bars - Nature Valley Oats and Honey - as I went past you. I only came in a few seconds ahead of you.
    Took flapjack with me and ate a fair bit as I went round and also had water with me, which I was drinking. This happens to me on long races fairly regularly sometimes. Don't know what triggers/causes it or how to avoid it coming on (tried eating different things during, before and for breakfast - it's not that). Ran London last year and started throwing up at 20miles, to the extent I walked most of the last 6miles. Yet, a week later, I trotted round the 3P no problem. 2 years ago, I had the same issue during the race though - in fact yesterday was eerily similar to 2011 in terms of when it kicked in (bottom of Whernside descent), splits etc, except yesterday I managed to keep going a bit better.
    Richard Foster, North Leeds Fell Runners, Airienteers Orienteering Club & Leeds Adel Hockey Club

Re: Three Peaks Fell Race

Maybe they could reverse it, go up the slabs and slide down the side :thumbup:
    Quote Originally Posted by Witton Park View Post
    I agree on the new section over Whitber - I didn't expect such a long section and it was easier on legs, but I didn't feel it was quicker although it may have been.

I agree on the Whernside slabs, they were awful and to double tape us in to that section and not allow us to get off the edge was asking for falls.

I didn't like that little drag where you leave the Pennine Way and head for Birkwith - it used to be a bit gloopy and eroded, but having been flatenned to make a clear track and trodden on by all the walkers and 500+ runners, it was like blu-tack to run on.
    "Ackworth Road Runners ? what yer doin ont fells then? "